Just when you thought you had enough banana bread recipes, here’s a new and interesting version: a roasted walnut oil banana bread from La Tourangelle. In addition to the rich and nutty flavor of the roasted walnut oil, the banana bread calls for ground flax, a mixture of white and whole wheat flour, and maple syrup in place of sugar.
I suppose it falls into the relatively healthier category of banana breads. It’s not as rich and dense as the stalwart Betty Crocker recipe, but slightly crumblier and with a different palette of flavors. In my opinion it could have used a fourth banana, but the family liked it with three.
La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil
As for the roasted walnut oil, I first tried it years ago when making a yeasted walnut bread. I also used it in vinaigrette and a few different cookie recipes, but I really didn’t take advantage of all its uses before the tin of oil was gone. It’s always been kind of a luxury ingredient around here, but with its health properties, flavor and versatility, I should buy it more often. If you have any great uses for walnut oil (or any other fancy oils), let me know.
Roasted Walnut Oil Banana Bread
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup roasted walnut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven at 350°. Grease an 8-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ loaf pan and set aside.
- Mash the bananas and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, oil and maple syrup and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add egg mixture and mashed bananas alternately to dry ingredients, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix. Pour into prepared pan.
- Combine cinnamon and brown sugar and toss with walnuts. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing. This bread is slightly crumblier than some others.