Coconut Cream Pineapple Pie is an easy coconut cream pie made with condensed milk, coconut flavored pudding mix, cream cheese and lots of cream.
It is extremely simple. In fact, I'd say the hardest part for some people will be finding a good coconut extract. You could probably find a good extract on King Arthur's site, and it's possible that Watkins makes a good one, though I've never tried it. If you have a favorite coconut extract, let me know. I've yet to find one I like on the baking aisle.
Coconut Cream Pineapple Pie Ingredient Notes
- Graham Cracker Crumbs - Gingersnap crumbs also work.
- Heavy Cream -- The first cup of heavy cream gets folded into the filling. If you have your food processor handy (maybe you used it to make the crumbs?) you can whip it in the food processor. Otherwise, just whip with an electric mixer.
- Cream Cheese -- Makes sure it is very soft. I usually just throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Condensed Milk -- I like Eagle Brand, but any brand will work.
- Coconut Instant Pudding Mix -- Not a coconut fan, but reading this recipe for Coconut Cream Pineapple Pie anyway? Feel free to substitute with any other flavor of pudding mix. This pie was and still is a mix and match flavors dessert.
- Coconut -- Sweetened or unsweetened are fine. I usually use the sweetened type.
- Whipped Cream Topping -- You can substitute Cool Whip for the sweetened whipped cream topping. However, the cream that gets folded into the filling needs to be unsweetened, so I don't recommend using Cool Whip for the filling.
Quick Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 14 oz. can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ¾ cup cold water
- 1 4-serving size package instant coconut pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon good quality coconut extract (optional)
- ⅓ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Small can of crushed pineapple drained and patted dry
Sweetened Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla
- A handful of lightly toasted sweetened flaked coconut
- Mix together crumbs, sugar and butter. Press into a 9 inch deep dish pie plate and bake for 6 minutes at 375 degrees F. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat the cup of cream until stiff peaks form, then set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Stir in water, coconut pudding mix and both extracts and beat until smooth. Stir in pineapple and sweetened flaked coconut. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour into prepared pie crust and chill for 30 minutes or until set. Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut.
- To make sweetened cream for topping, whip 1 cup of heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add ¼ cup of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and beat until peaks are stiff. Pipe over top of pie or just spread it.