Salt Lick Peach Cobbler

Last time my dad came over, we dropped Mentos into Diet Coke and tried to make it spurt up like a fountain. It was my dad’s idea. He’d seen it on TV and didn’t believe that it really worked. He wanted to try it himself so he brought over a 16 oz bottle of Diet Coke and some Mentos and did the experiment on the patio while he was grilling steak. Sadly, there was more fizzle than fountain — a 16 oz bottle is too small.

My dad’s coming over tonight and we might try it again while we’re grilling chicken. With important experiments in the works, I can’t fuss with dessert, so tonight’s recipe is an easy dessert from The Salt Lick.

The Salt Lick is an Austin institution, but I am sad to say I’ve never been. I’m not sure why exactly. Hopefully I’ll go before I die, but if not, I will have at least been able to say that I’ve made their peach cobbler. Picture to come. I’m going to put it in the oven when we sit down to eat. The house is going to smell so good.¬†

Peach Cobbler

1 room temperature egg

Filling:
1 (28 ounce) can sliced peaches, drained
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter in a 9 x 13-inch pan.

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk and egg. Pour evenly over melted butter.

Combine peaches, sugar and spices and spread over batter – DO NOT STIR! Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until batter comes to the top and is golden brown.

Serve warm with ice cream.

Comments

1. Reneé says

I can’t believe you’ve never made the trek out to Salt Lick (make sure to go to the original for your first time at least!) YUM YUM!

Wow! I am not a BBQ gal, but even I love The Salt Lick. Even better than the BBQ is the cobbler…..blackberry or peach—-doesn’t matter! Can’t wait to make this one, so glad you posted it!!! MMM. You must go soon!!!

Because I have never heard of the Salt Lick I thought this was actually a Salty Peach Cobbler which really intrigued me since I would love to wear a salt lick around my neck. Sounds good though, even without the salt!

4. Debbi says

Glad to know that we aren’t the only freaks who have enjoyed the diet coke/mentos trick. We used a 2 liter and did it at the end of the driveway last summer. It does work but it is over very fast. We joked that it was a “poor mans fireworks”. I have heard that there is a difference with different kind of mentos, I don’t know though and I have no idea what kind we bought.

Never heard of the Salt Lick either. I am enjoying the pineapple cake that I made this afternoon, num!

The Salt Lick is soooooo good! That’s one of the many, many things I miss about Austin (went to UT) now that I’m back in Houston. Maybe the hubby and I will have to make a weekend trip just to go to Salt Lick, Hula Hut, etc. Cobbler looks yummy!

The cobbler was very good. The peaches were fine, but I think what makes it so good is all the butter! It was also very fun to make.

About Salt Lick. No, I haven’t been. My dad has, though. He says they barbecue “Polynesian Style” . I asked him how he knew this and he said he learned it at some barbecue expo in San Antonio. Hmmmmm.

Debbi, did you use Bessie’s pineapple topping?

Cara, hmmmmmm. So is your reference to Hula Hut coincidental or did you already know that Salt Lick’s barbecue was Polynesian style? For those who don’t know, Hula Hut is a popular Austin restaurant that serves Hawaiian themed dishes and drinks.

7. Cindy in Tempe says

I didn’t know this technique worked with fruit! I’ve made the Desperation Dinners Pumpkin Cobbler many times (may even have mentioned it in a comment before).

8. David Belcher says

I was lucky enough to have my first visit to Salt Lick on Sunday. The place was very good, and lucky for me I got the peach cobbler and it was good. Needed a few more peaches, but tasted wonderful. Sunday’s at the Salt Lick offer a family style feast with all the fixin’s (at least thats how they advertise it). We had plenty of beef brisket, sausage, ribs, potato salad (best I ever had), slaw, and beans. Great food and fun atmosphere.

Hi David,

Reading your comment made me hungry for lunch. I am totally craving barbecue, now. Maybe next time my dad’s in town, we’ll all go to Salt Lick for lunch. I almost feel like driving over there right this minute, but that wouldn’t be practical. I’m supposed to be cleaning the upstairs this morning.

It’s a gorgeous drive out there, though.

10. David Belcher says

^^^^
    This was my first visit and I really enjoyed it. I would love to go back! The drive was very nice, very pretty countryside. One thing that was strange for me was the type of BBQ. Being from the Ky and now North Fl (which is more south GA) I am used to sweet sauce and lots of pork. But I have to say, I am now a fan of beef brisket! Now when I get home to FL I have to find a BBQ that serves good beef brisket.

Talking with a friend of mine, he was saying that the BBQ place in Lockheardt (not sure on the spelling) has the best BBQ anywhere. I guess this restaurant is on the food network a lot and pops in any many different food magazines. Was also told that County Line BBQ in Austin is a great place too.

David, I’m not sure how much time you have in Austin, but Lockhardt does have good brisket. I don’t agree with them on the sauce issue. They say you don’t need it. Here’s some more info.

County Line is a whole lot of fun and has a great atmosphere. The barbecue is very good and there’s lots of other stuff on the menu to choose from as well. However, if you have time, I recommend you stop by Rudy’s on 360 for lunch. If you like sweet barbecue sauce, you’ll want to pick up a bottle. It’s the best!

12. Jayne B says

This is quick, easy, and best of all…..SO YUMMY! An excellent dessert to take, when needed.

13. Marc B says

Okay, so I lived in Austin for 20 years and made more trips to the Salt Lick than can be counted. The place is as close to heaven on earth as one can get!!! Rudy’s is good but far from being better than Salt Lick. I have to take issue with Rudy’s being a sweet sauce, it is full of black pepper and one of the more spicy bbq sauces I have had, but it is darn good. I am now in Colorado where peaches are a big crop. I just bought a box and am going to try the recipe above with fresh instead of canned peaches. Will let ya’all know how it turns out.

14. Patti G says

I LOVE this recipe and have used it since 1980 when it was in a sort of recipe book called “Elley Rucker’s Almanac” published by the Austin-American Statesman newspaper in Austin, TX. The recipe originally came from the Texas Tumbleweed Restaurant located on RR 2222 just outside of Austin on the way to Lake Travis. The restaurant burnt down in the late ’80s, but the popularity of their cobbler recipe continues (just in a new place)! Just thought you’d like to know a little background on it.

15. Rose K says

If you ever go to Llano, TX, there is a BBQ restaurant that used to be a Bed & Breakfast. Laird’s BBQ at 1600 Ford St. We think it’s one of the best, if not the best BBQ we’ve ever had. Prices are great. Brisket, sausage, chicken, turkey, with all the sides. It’s worth the ride from San Antonio. We did not care for Cooper’s BBQ, also in Llano, and will never go back there.

16. Juli says

OMGoodness! I was in Austin last week for a conference; my son lives there so we treated him to dinner at the Salt Lick in Driftwood (the original spot). I’d never visited before, and had brisket, turkey, and sausage with all the fixin’s. All I can say is “WOW”. I’ve lived in Texas for almost twenty years, and LOVE my barbecue, and this was absolutely fantastic. Some of the best I’ve ever tasted; moist and tender, even the turkey, which is all too often dry. I thought I’d stuffed myself on ‘cue, but had to try the cobbler with a huge scoop of, yes, you guessed it, Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. It IS the best cobbler I’ve ever tasted. Iconic. Make it, now. Right now. You’ll thank yourself.

We’ve been making this cobbler (after I found it on your site) for years, and I just realized I’ve never said thank you! I’ve never been to Texas, but I’m tempted to make the trip just to try out the Salt Lick. Thanks so much for the recipe!