M&M Oreo Chunk Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on September 24, 2008 · 26 comments

A few years ago, a friend turned me on to the idea of adding broken packaged cookies to homemade baked goods. For a while, we were putting broken Oreos in everything – brownies, candy and of course, chocolate chip cookies. What we found was this recipe, an old one adapted from a vanilla extract website, really stood up well to the big chunky cookies. The dough has proportionally less fat in it and bakes up into a sturdy, crispy edged, tender-on-the-inside, cookie.

Thinking this dough would also be good with M&M’s, I came up with a spooky Halloween version using Halloween colored M&M’s (Target sells them….I think they are called “Ghoulish M&M’s) and Halloween colored Oreos. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any orange colored Oreos on hand, but you get the idea.

Bonus. This is a one bowl cookie!

P.S. Thanks Katrina for jogging my memory of this recipe.

M&M Cookies

M&M Oreo Chunk Chocolate Chip Cookies

6 oz unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup scary colored Halloween M&M candies
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
6-8 Oreos, broken into thirds or fourths (just don’t crush.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter and both sugars. Beat in vanilla and egg. Add soda, salt, baking powder and cream of tartar and beat well to ensure the baking powder is well-distributed. Add the flour and stir until it’s absorbed. Stir in the M&M’s, chocolate chips and cookies. Yum!

Using a heaping tablespoon, drop the cookies about 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Makes about 2 dozen

Note: I chilled by dough a few hours before baking. It’s not critical, but chilled dough might yield fatter cookies.

Adapted from Nielsen Massey.

Published on September 24, 2008

Jennifer September 24, 2008 at 12:05 pm

I have yet to try the oreo baked into a cookie thing, but it sounds great!

pam September 24, 2008 at 12:04 pm

I just printed this recipe ~ they look awesome. I will make them & send a batch to work with my husband. So festive.

Pam

Katrina September 24, 2008 at 12:30 pm

They looks yummy! I love the Ghoulish M&M’s (instead of just the old fall colored brown and orange ones. They would be fun with the orange filling Oreos. I just saw those today at the store and thought of you.

clumbsycookie September 24, 2008 at 1:20 pm

I like those! I like those a lot!!!

Lacey Bean September 24, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Oh yum!! Definitely next on my list of things to make!

Cathy - Wheresmydamnanswer September 24, 2008 at 1:39 pm

What a fun combination and out of the oven they look so festive!! I am sure no one would be able to resist this killer creation

VeggieGirl September 24, 2008 at 1:46 pm
Sophia September 24, 2008 at 3:05 pm

These are awesome! I’ll have to make them for my Oreo-obsessed friends.

E September 24, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Oreos are vegan. :)

Katy September 24, 2008 at 3:12 pm

A couple more ideas along the same line. Elinor Klivans Big Fat Cookie Book has a recipre for chocolate chip cookies with chopped up homemade chocolate chip cookies inside. Divide a standard dough in half. Bake off the first half. Cool Cut in chunks. Add to remaining raw dough and bake. OUTSTANDING!
Also, have you ever made Maida Heatter’s Oreo Cookie Bundt Cake? A classic sour cream pound cake full of large chunks of Oreos. Excellent.

Rina September 24, 2008 at 4:45 pm

How funny! I just bookmarked your recipe for Oreo Chunk Cookies and planned to make them today (Oreos were on sale at Safeway, not that I need a reason). I compared the two recipes and realized they originate from the same base, but this current version has 1/2 the amount of butter. Did you think the older version was too greasy? I’m aiming to please full-fat loving friends. =)

Anna September 24, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Ack, Rina — you scared me for a minute. I thought I messed up on typing the butter amount. Actually, 6 oz of butter is the same as 12 tablespoons. 2 T. = 1 oz. I hope you like the cookies :).

Katy, I haven’t made Maida’s pound cake recipe. That sounds like a good one for Teacher Appreciation. Hey, maybe we could turn it into a Halloween pound cake with Halloween Oreos and a marble of orange batter. Brainstorming.

E, I read that somewhere too! I need to go check the Oreo ingredient list.

Sophia and Lacey, good luck with the cookies!

VG, the muffins look fabulous.

Cathy, maybe cookies are THE ANSWER.

Rita and Katrina, these cookies seem like something both of you would make.

Pam, let me know if you make them.

bakingblonde September 24, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Of all of the cookies I bake I have never added oreos to any of them!! What a wonderful idea!

Estee September 24, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Oh, yum!! I am absolutely going to make these, thanks for the recipe!

Sara September 24, 2008 at 9:21 pm

I’ve never put oreos into cookies before. My husband loves M&Ms, I will have to give this a try.

Rina September 24, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Anna – I’m such an idiot, forgive me! I made the Oreo Chunk Cookies (didn’t have M&M’s on hand) and they were perfect. I love the wrinkly cream of tartar effect. I also made your “Easy and Good Oatmeal Raisin Cookies,” and sandwiched them with some leftover salted caramel frosting from a cupcake batch. Awesome all around – you are revered in my house tonight!

Jennifer September 24, 2008 at 11:52 pm

WOW! two of my favorite treats put into one cookie!! you are truly my hero

snookydoodle September 25, 2008 at 12:22 am

These look nice. Ideal for children. It s amazing how many different cookie variations can you make :-)

FFichiban September 25, 2008 at 12:49 am

These look really tasty :) but for me they would be better with peanut M&Ms mmmmm ^^!

rebecca September 25, 2008 at 5:23 am

great cookie for halloween!

and yay for seasonal m&ms. i just picked up a bag of ghoulish peanut butter m&ms at target yesterday. =)

Jennifer September 25, 2008 at 12:28 pm

One question, I’ve been following the NY Times cookie recipe with the recommended 24 hours of chilling of the dough. Do you think this recipe would benefit from that? Or do you think it would make the Oreos get soggy?

Terri September 25, 2008 at 12:46 pm

ok, I’ve never seen the ghoulish M&M’s (don’t have kids so the regular ones are fine with me), but it looks like the purple M&M in the top cookie in the picture is an eye. Is that true or am I seeing things? Do these M&M’s have images on them?

Anna September 25, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Rina, thanks for the review! I’m glad you liked them. Also, I think the “Easy and Good Oatmeal Cookies” are my favorite oatmeal cookie.

FFichiban, I prefer peanut M&M’s, but I don’t use them in cookies very often. I’m sure they’ work.

Jennifer, I chilled some of the dough overnight and the Oreos in the dough are soft. They still taste fine after being baked.

Terri, that’s just some dough baked onto the M&M. There are no images on the M&Ms, but I think next year they should do that!

marie c September 29, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Hi i was just wondering if there was something i can do with two dags of broken chocolate chip cookies. Is there something i can make with them….

Anna September 29, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Hi Marie,

You could use them as the crust of a cheesecake. Look for a recipe that uses something like Oreos in the crust and use chocolate chip cookie crumbs instead. That’s the only thing I can think of right now.

Christie October 9, 2008 at 4:24 pm

These are the perfect cookies to bring when I see my cousins this weekend…two kids, 8 and 10, they will love the Oreos and M&Ms in these. I will, too!