Total Chocolate Chunk Cookies

by on January 12, 2009 · 21 comments

(SEE UPDATE AT BOTTOM)

Remember those Total cereal ads where they’d stack cereal bowls on top of each other, put them next to a bowl of Total and say “You’d have to eat 12 bowls of this cereal to get all the vitamins in one bowl of Total”. Along with feeling a little nervous that the cereal bowl tower would topple over, I’d think “Gee, who would eat 12 bowls of cereal when they only needed one bowl of super cereal?” So I never had a problem buying Total (even though it was more expensive than other cereals) and when it went on sale, I always felt like I was getting a huge bargain.

Right now Total is not on sale, but I was so excited about Cooking Light’s “swag bars” I bought a box at full price for $4.00. I’ll bet it’s something like $7.00 in New York…or maybe $14. I’m not sure, but I wanted to make good use of my precious box of Total so I came up with another recipe.

These cookies are a spin-off of the old Wheaties Cookies. I guess I could have just make the Wheaties cookies and used Total, but I wanted to be different so I took out the coconut, added chocolate chunks and ground up the oats. The end result was an excellent thick and crunchy cookie. Here’s the recipe. It’s really simple to throw together if you keep your food processor on the counter ready to go at all times. If not, well, grinding oatmeal with your bare hands is kind of a pain so you could skip the grinding and quick oats (not instant) and crush the cereal and nuts with a rolling pin.

Total Cookies

Total Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1/2 cup oatmeal
1 1/4 cups Total cereal
1/2 cup whole walnuts
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 cup packed granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (5.6 oz/160 grams)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon plus an extra pinch of salt
5 oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into chunks or about ¾ cup of chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In bowl of food processor, process oats until fine. Add cereal and walnuts to processor with ground oatmeal and pulse until cereal is finely crushed and nuts are fairly well chopped.

Cream butter and both sugars in a mixing bowl using high speed of an electric mixer; add egg and vanilla and beat just until egg is mixed in. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir well to mix. Scrape sides of bowl and stir in flour mixture and cereal mixture.

Shape into 1 ½ inch balls, then press the balls lightly so they have slightly flat tops…that is, unless you want rounded tops. Place on cookie sheets, spacing 2 ½ inches apart and bake for 15 minutes or until edges start to brown. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to finish cooling.

Makes about 20 cookies

UPDATE: I made a few variations on this recipe, one of which did not include ground up oats and nuts. Yesterday I thought the oat & nut free cookie tasted a little too sweet, but I tried one again today and it did not taste too sweet. So you can leave out the oats & nuts. You’ll get a crunchier cookie because the overall percentage of sugar is higher, but you won’t get the oat & nut flavor. Kids may like that.

Published on January 12, 2009

Megan January 12, 2009 at 9:12 pm

DO you think I could leave out the nuts without compromising the thickness of the cookies? The kids would Total-ly (ha ha) love those, but I have to leave the nuts out for Sabrina…….

Anna January 12, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Megan, I think the kids would like them. The nuts tame the sweetness a little, but I made the cookies without oats and nuts and even though they were a little sweet, they were still pretty good. So I think the sweetness level with oats and no nuts would be great.

You may want to increase the cereal to 1 1/2 cups.

BTW. I was going to call them Totally Chocolate Chunk Cookies but decided that would be too hokey….because you know me. I am never hokey.

claire January 12, 2009 at 9:22 pm

These look good. They remind me of some cookies I made last week that had rice krispies in them. The cereal really gave a crunch to the cookies without taking away the soft cookie texture. I REALLY liked them.

Rina January 12, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I like the hokey title! You’re in good company. =) I’m glad I wasn’t the only person swayed by those commercials, they seem so convincing. I might try these with Nature’s Path Flax Plus (big fan, high in protein and fiber).

Katrina January 12, 2009 at 10:13 pm

They look great and good and hearty and I will make them. :)

beth January 13, 2009 at 5:39 am

I am so excited. My mother-in-law is a huge fan of Total. It’s an important part of her daily routine. I always stock the pantry when she comes for her weekly holiday visits. The problem is, I am always stuck with extra Total. Problem solved! Anna to the rescue again. Thanks.
Beth

VeggieGirl January 13, 2009 at 7:00 am

Nice!!

J Hudson January 13, 2009 at 7:32 am

Another score!

I will definitely be making these. I love hearty oaty cookies.

My coffee needs these as companions. *wink*

AJ January 13, 2009 at 9:57 am

How do these compare to a DoubleTree cookie as far as taste?? They sure look similar! I’ve tried a lot of DoubleTree copycat recipes and they’re just not the same! =(

Sue January 13, 2009 at 10:06 am

Those are great looking cookies! Similarly to what JHudson said, my tea would like these as a companion.

runjess January 13, 2009 at 10:28 am

I bought a box of Cocoa Pebbles for a cookie recipe and they aren’t that great as a breakfast cereal, so every time I see a cookie recipe with cereal in it, I think, “Can I finally use up the Cocoa Pebbles?”

Anna January 13, 2009 at 10:52 am

Aw, poor Jess…..saddled with Cocoa Pebbles.

Anna January 13, 2009 at 10:54 am

AJ, these really aren’t like DoubleTree cookies at all. The’re a bit lighter in color and don’t have nearly as many nuts. I think Double tree uses more oats as well and they definitely don’t use wheat cereal. Did you try the Todd English chocolate chip cookie? It reminds me of DoubleTree’s cookies.

HeartofGlass January 13, 2009 at 12:13 pm

runjess–Coco Pebble krispies, perhaps?

Anna, I haven’t had Total in a long time–I know this is an annoying question, but does it have HFC?

AJ January 13, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Anna! I printed the Todd English recipe to try out. =)

Meredith January 13, 2009 at 12:31 pm

How would Frosted Flakes work? Unlike poor Jess, I have an excess of Frosted Flakes on my shelf (I couldn’t resist the $.99 cent/box sale)….I actually LIKE cocoa pebbles, but maybe Jess should check out Oatmeal Cookie guys recipes….I think that he uses Cocoa Pebbles for some of his treats!

Anna January 13, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Meredith, the cookies are pretty sweet to begin with so Frosted Flakes might be a little too sweet. But that’s just an assumption on my part. They could be Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Anna January 13, 2009 at 5:12 pm

H, ingredients say “corn syrup” but not “high fructose” kind.

HeartofGlass January 13, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Awesome! Thanks Anna–Total still has a ‘health halo!’

Gail January 31, 2009 at 6:21 am

I made these yesterday with no nuts, and added a couple tablespoons of ground flax seed. I sprinkled a little course sugar on the top before baking and a tiny bit of pink himalayan sea salt (it’s very fine).
My teenage son loved them as much as my husband and I did. It’s great to eat a cookie that is good for you!

GG June 22, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I have an anemic toddler who won’t take Iron supplements. I am hoping these cookies will help!