Magic Blondies

by on April 27, 2009 · 23 comments

Today’s recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart, and it had been on my “to try” list for ages. My concern was that these muffins/cookie things would be pretty, but not very tasty.  Luckily, I was wrong.  The cake part is very moist without being overly rich and there are enough add-ins to make it interesting. These are definitely going in the “Bake Sale” file.

Magic Blondies

Magic Blondies

2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup (180 gram) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup (120 grams) chopped toasted pecans
1 2/3 cups (220 grams) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
3/4 teaspoon (3 ml) coarse salt
9 tablespoons (125 grams) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (220 grams) packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Line a 12-cup muffin tin (standard size) with paper liners; set aside. Stir together coconut, chocolate and pecans; set aside.

Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, until pale and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix until combined. Reduce speed to low or by hand, stir in flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl, until well combined. Mix in about a cup of the coconut mixture.

Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full. Sprinkle remaining coconut mixture over tops and bake on center rack for about 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out with moist crumbs.

Blondies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Published on April 27, 2009

Dianna April 27, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Have you tried Martha’s Rocky Ledge Bars? Similar ingredients and SO tasty. These are on my list to try (as are about thirty of your other recipes!) :-)

Anna April 27, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Yes, a while back. They were good too. These are like Rocky Ledge Bars in muffin form.

Katrina April 27, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I just keep saying this on all the blogs I visit that have yummy things. Mmmmm!

snookydoodle April 27, 2009 at 2:37 pm

oh they surely look delicious. Look at that topping!!oh to die for :)

Carol A, April 27, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Wow, these look great! It’s fun to have them in cupcake cups, too.

Andrea April 27, 2009 at 2:30 pm

These look delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Whitney April 27, 2009 at 2:48 pm

YUM will definitely be putting these on my “to try” list.

bakingblonde April 27, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Oh YUMMMMMY! I have always loved Magic Cookie Bars and now you have them in cupcake form??? Genius!

Pearl April 27, 2009 at 6:14 pm

blondies in cupcake form are so cool!

Janice April 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Anna….
YUM!

Elyse April 27, 2009 at 11:34 pm

How fabulous! I’ve never seen the magic “bars” in cake/muffin form. I can’t wait to try these out. Sometimes those bars are just too heavy, so I imagine that a moist cake/muffin would be a perfect vehicle for those yummy flavors in the traditional bar. Thanks for sharing!

hulagirl247 April 28, 2009 at 8:32 am

hi anna!

silly question – but are these is standard sized muffins cups or the mini ones? if they are the standard sized – how long do you think the bake time would be if made in the mini size instead? they look scrumptious!

the swine flu thing is very scary. so far we’ve been lucky to have zero cases reported – but considering all of the international travellers that go thru here in a day plus much our hispanic population having roots in mexico i am amazed there are no reported cases so far.

hope all is well with you & your loved ones!

~ hula ~

Anna April 28, 2009 at 8:40 am

Hi Hula Girl,

Standard muffin cups are fine. I guess I should add that. MS did.

Steph (I am Bee) April 28, 2009 at 11:19 am

those look so yummy! and i love the idea of them being made in muffin tins.

A Mom Anonymous April 29, 2009 at 11:17 am

Oh yes, those look fabulous! They will go in my file as well!! Thanks Anna!

Ashli April 29, 2009 at 5:11 pm

I just came across your blog, and bookmarked you! I love to bake, so this is so great!! Thanks!!

So have you ever tried a potato candy?? All I know of it is this: I was in girl scouts many years ago, and my very first meeting ever (I was about 9 or so?), they made potato candy, and I was utterly disgusted with that, at the time, and couldn’t imagine it being good and wasn’t going to catch me trying it. They finally talked me into it, and all I remember is LOVING IT. I wish I knew a recipe for it, so I could try it again!

Marcia April 30, 2009 at 11:20 am

PERFECT timing…our soccer club is having a bake sale this weekend & I was struggling for a *new* idea. My only problem will be not eating them before I get to the bake sale. :P

LJ August 3, 2010 at 1:04 pm

hi! i was wondering if i needed to toast the coconut flakes first before mixing it with the chocolate chips and nuts.

Anna August 4, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Hi LJ,

Nope, it’s not a requirement.

KatieBakesSometimes May 30, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I made these today to bring to a BBQ. Everyone loved them, they were SUPER delicious. I followed the directions exactly as given, they turned out perfect. Yum :)

Heather June 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm

If I use mini muffin tins how long would you suggest baking them for?

Anna June 19, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I’d check at 15 minutes. Good luck!

Gina July 6, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Made these today for a bake sale at our local hospital (tomorrow). They turned out great! However, I think I must have made them smaller than I should have, as I got 16 per batch! And yet, I had enough of the topping left over, too. Curious. Oh well. More for the bake sale! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

–Gina (http://lindseyluscious.blogspot.com)