After baking a batch of carrot cake cookies from Bon Appetit, I decided to do a side-by-side taste test with an older carrot cake cookie. The results? I like my old recipe better.
BA’s were good and I think some people might actually prefer that recipe, but my old one has a lighter textured cake, seems a tad bit sweeter (which matches the filling) and has a lot more flavor from brown sugar and cinnamon. It also has less of a “healthy” taste than yesterday’s. Not that there’s anything wrong with healthful cookies, but if you’re going to sandwich cream cheese icing between the cookies, then that train has come and gone.
So I’d stick with this recipe. I updated it a little bit today. In the past I added nuts, but today I left them out. I weighed the flour and sugar for accuracy and I grated the carrots instead of shredding.
Oh, and I STILL haven’t tried the Upside Down Carrot Cake Cookies from Epicurious. Maybe that cookie will be the best of all three.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened (unsalted) – 4 oz
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (7.5 oz)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (9 oz) – fluff and spoon or scoop and sweep, don’t shake or pack
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup grated or finely shredded carrots, patted dry 5 ½ oz
- 3/4 cup golden or dark raisins
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temp
- 1 cup powdered sugar – use more if needed
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained VERY well -- optional
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter with sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating just until each egg is mixed in. Mix in vanilla.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a separate bowl. By hand or with lowest speed of mixer, stir in the dry ingredients. Stir in carrots and raisins.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto to the sheets.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. When completely cool, sandwich 2 cookies together with the cream cheese filling.
- Frosting: Beat the cream cheese, gradually adding the butter. Beat until smooth. Sift in sugar. Beat well. Add pineapple and vanilla.
- Use to sandwich two cookies together.
- Makes 12-13 sandwiches