It took me a while to find it, but I think it’s the perfect cookie for putting on sticks and making cookie bouquets. Cookies on a Stick dough is easy to work with and the cookies taste great. You can vary the flavorings. For best results, weigh your flour before measuring. If you don’t have a scale, sift it and then measure.
Here’s a cat on a stick. Taste and texture is perfect, but I don’t have a very steady hand and will probably never be able to do really beautiful art. Still, it’s kind of fun to try.
Sugar Cookies on a Stick
- 3 cups 13.5 oz all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 sticks butter unsalted, softened (8 oz)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Mix together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Stir in the egg, salt and both extracts.
- Slowly add flour mixture (1 cup at a time) and stir until incorporated
- Form the dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface to approximately 5/8" thick. Cut the cookies into shapes and place the cut cookie shape on a parchment lined cookie; Poke a stick into cookies.
- Bake the cookies for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown in color. Remove cookies from the oven and allow tocool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. For larger cookies, bake at 350 F for a slightly longer time.
1 pound confectioner's sugar
5 T meringue powder or 1/4 cup pasteurized egg whites
Ice cold water according to desired consistency and 1 teaspoon vanilla Stir together, using as much water as needed for desired consistency