This is one of my older cinnamon roll recipes, but I still like it for a few different reasons. First, it calls for instant yeast, which is typically what I have around.
Second, it makes a dough that's easy to roll and not too sticky.
And finally, the instant yeast cinnamon rolls taste great! The original version of the recipe is called Ninety Minute Cinnamon Rolls and it's interesting in that the dough is placed in muffin cups rather than just sliced and baked. When I first made this recipe I used the muffin cups, but these days I just cut the slices and lay them in a large pan. Here's a photo of the sliced dough in a 9x13 inch pan, along with what it looks like after being baked.
Here's an older photo of ones made in a muffin cup.
Cinnamon Rolls with Instant Yeast
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or salted butter cut into small chunks (58 grams)
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour divided use (410 grams)
- 1 .25 ounce package instant yeast (I like Platinum)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar 50 grams
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar packed (200 grams)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter softened (230 grams)
- 1 tablespoon butter melted (14 grams)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese softened (or use heavy cream)
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles; remove from heat. Mix in butter; stir until melted. Let cool to lukewarm. Alternatively, you can heat the milk in the microwave-safe measure for about 1 minute, stirring every 30 seconds, and add the butter to the hot microwaved milk.
- Combine 2 ¼ cup of the flour (280 grams), yeast, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Stir in water, egg and the milk/butter mixture. Add the remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has just pulled together, turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes (I do this all in the stand mixer using the dough hook).
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, softened butter.
- Roll out dough into a 12x9 inch rectangle. Spread dough with butter/sugar mixture. Roll up dough (from the short side) and pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal size rolls and place cut side up in 12 lightly greased muffin cups (or in a well greased 9x13 inch pan). Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until browned. Remove from muffin cups to cool. Serve warm or let cool and frost with icing (or put the icing on while warm and spread it).
- Stir together melted butter and powdered sugar to make a thick pasty like substance. Stir in the cream cheese. Add milk, one tablespoon at a time, stirring until you get a consistency that seems conducive to putting on cinnamon rolls. Stir in the vanilla.