Originally from Joanne Chang, this recipe is adapted from one in The Atlantic, where Joanne Chang gives tips on how to make the Flour Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies. Since posting this adapted version of the recipe I have made the cookies many, many times and they're always good. They have a great texture with crispy edges, soft centers and brown sugar flavor. They’re up there with the greatest of all times chocolate chip cookies. For best results, use the weights rather than volume. Also, chill the dough! You can bake a couple of cookies right away, but the cookies are so much better made with dough that's been chilled overnight.
UPDATE: Be careful what type of chocolate you use for Joanne Chang's Chocolate Chip Cookies. I love Lindt, but it melts fast and can cause these cookies to spread. Some other smooth, high quality, melting chocolates will also give you more spread.
More Joanne Chang Recipes
Joanne Chang's Chocolate Chip Cookies (Or Chocolate Chunk!)
- 175 grams all-purpose flour could be anywhere from 1 ¼ to 1 ⅓ cup
- 160 grams bread flour about 1 cup and 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 230 grams 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 150 grams granulated sugar ¾ cup
- 165 grams packed brown sugar (I sometimes use 150) ¾ cup, but VERY tightly packed**
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- 255 grams chopped bittersweet chocolate or quality chocolate chips
- 70 grams chopped milk chocolate
- Whisk the dry ingredients (flour through salt) together in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars together until very light and fluffy, scraping down the side of the bowl as needed. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing until well combined after each. Mix in vanilla.
- Toss bittersweet and milk chocolates into the dry ingredients - mix to coat. Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl and mix until completely combined. Cover and place cookie dough into the refrigerator to chill for 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop out about ¼ cup worth of dough per cookie and roll each into a ball - place onto parchment lined baking sheets two to three inches apart, then flatten each slightly.
- Bake one sheet at a time until the cookies are golden brown around the edges, yet the center is still slightly soft, about 14 to 17 minutes. Remove and place baking sheets onto a wire rack and allow cookies to cool (still on the baking sheet) for 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to the rack and allow to cool completely.