Inspiration for yesterday’s scratch best yellow cupcake recipe was Mela, who emailed me saying she was having a hard time finding a good yellow cake. I told her about this one, and after trying the recipe she emailed to say she loved it. Plus, she shared her strawberry frosting recipe!
Tiny Batch Strawberry Frosting Recipe
For those of you interested in a frosting with fresh strawberries and cream cheese, here’s the recipe courtesy of Mela. I made 1/4 of the recipe and used 1 fresh strawberry and about a teaspoon of Orchard’s Finest strawberry preserves. Rather than puree the strawberry, I just chopped it up, put it in with the butter and cream cheese, and crushed it with the friction of the stand mixer. It was fun watching the icing turn pink! I also added a small dash of vanilla because I like how vanilla tastes with strawberry. I might try mixing in a little malt to give it a strawberry malted milkshake flavor. Thanks, Mela!
- 1/2 cup 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese from the refrigerator
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 large strawberries pureed
- 2-3 tsp. strawberry jam
- pinch of salt optional
- Cream butter and cream cheese for about 2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Add in jam and slowly add pureed strawberry until you get the desired consistency.
- Chill before frosting your cupcakes.