Walnut Sandwich Bread is my take on a walnut bread recipe that originally appeared in Cooking Light years ago. It makes a 9×5 inch loaf that’s perfect for sandwiches or toast. My family loves it. The original version called for rosemary, so feel free to throw some in. We prefer to leave it out so we can use if for peanut butter toast.
I haven’t tested Walnut Sandwich Bread with hazelnuts, but will update when I do. Another change I plan to try is using walnut oil in place of olive oil.
Walnut Sandwich Bread
- 1 cup whole milk warmed to about 125 degrees
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt plus a pinch
- 1 packet active dry yeast 2 ¼ teaspoons
- 2 3/4 cups bread flour plus more as needed (350 grams)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or melted butter
- 2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg reserve remaining egg for brushing
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts lightly toasted
- More milk for brushing the top
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm milk, sugar, salt, yeast and 1 cup (125 grams) of the flour. Stir well. Cover and put in a warm place for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes it should be very bubbly.
- Add 2 tablespoons of beaten egg, and 1 1/2 cup (200 grams) of the flour (you'll still have 1/2 cup flour left) and stir well. Attach dough hook to stand mixer and begin kneading. Continue adding extra flour about 2 tablespoons at a time until dough starts to clear the sides of the bowl as it is kneaded. Continue kneading until dough is smooth and elastic. It should be soft, but not too stick, and it should snap a little. It should clear the side of the bowl as it's needed, but will still stick to the bottom. Knead in the walnuts.
- Transfer to a bowl which you’ve rubbed with olive oil or butter. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and line with a strip of parchment paper.
- Punch down risen dough and press evenly into loaf pan. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400. Put the risen dough in the loaf pan in the oven.
- Reduce heat to 375 and bake for about 40 minutes at 375.