If you’re feeling patriotic and want to make a Hidden Flag Cake, you should give it a try. I did one time, and this was the result. The recipe is from Elissa’s blog 17 and Baking. If my math is correct, Elissa is now 29. Wherever you are, Elissa, thanks again for motivating me to try a flag cake.
There are lots of recipes for Flag Cake out there. For this one, I used a basic doctored white cake recipe and followed the coloring and carving instructions on Elissa’s old blog post. The cake was a lot of fun, but the big takeaway here was that I discovered a really awesome whipped cream cheese icing (or frosting, I guess it’s really frosting) recipe that I’ll use over and over for life. Here’s the recipe.
Whipped Cream Cheese Icing
- 1/2 cup heavy cream cold
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 oz unsalted or salted butter softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice fresh
- In a mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- In a second bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and lemon juice until creamy.
- Stir the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.