I like the flavor and texture of flaxseed almost as much as its nutritional stats, so I’m always trying to fit it into recipes. Flaxseed Banana Bread is the latest, and while it is a little crumblier than other banana breads, it still holds together when sliced and has good flavor. You can make it as one large loaf in a 9×5 inch pan, or if you are short on bananas you can halve it and make it in a small 8×4 inch pan.
Flaxseed Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 220 grams
- 3/4 cup flaxseed meal 70 grams
- 3/4 cup sugar 150 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups 12 oz mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven at 350°F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Line with a strip of parchment if desired.
- Thoroughly whisk together flour, flax, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add the bananas and flour mixture alternately to the egg mixture, stirring until blended. It will be very thick. Stir in the nuts.
- Bake 55-60 minutes, then let cool for about 20 minutes before loosening from pan. Remove from pan and let cool completely before slicing.