I bake a lot of half-batch recipes, and one of the consequences is I’m often left with half a can of this or a half can of that. A lot of times, it’s condensed milk. I wish they’d sell it in 7 oz cans or tubes, but for now I’ve grown used to finding a way to use the rest pretty quickly. Yesterday’s new way to use up a half can of condensed milk was this granola.
The recipe is based on one called “Golden Snacking Granola” from Eagle Brand. Instead of combining sugar, water, honey (or syrup), you just mix the dry ingredients and pour in condensed milk and oil. It is a tad more convenient, but at the end of the day it’s just a good way to use up condensed milk and you can tailor it to suit your mood. I made this version with cashews, almonds and dried cherries, used coconut oil in place or regular oil, and added vanilla. One thing to keep in mind, especially if you halve the recipe, is that this granola browns pretty quickly, so you really do have to be vigilant about stirring it every 15 minutes. I let mine go a little bit too long during the first part of the baking cycle and the bottom got very brown. Luckily, it didn’t taste burnt, but it wasn’t exactly “golden”. As for flavor, when it first comes out of the oven you might detect the condensed milk, but as it sets and crisps the condensed milk flavor fades away and you hardly know it’s there.
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup roasted almonds
- 3/4 cup roasted cashews
- 1 cup flaked coconut (I used unsweetened shredded)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Line a large rimmed pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients except cherries in large bowl; mix well. Spread evenly on rimmed pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes (important!). Remove from oven and let cool completely. Stir in the dried cherries.
- Let the granola cool completely. Store in an airtight container.