I bake a lot of half-batch recipes, and one of the consequences is I’m often left with half a can of this or a half can of that. One of the “this and thats” is often condensed milk. I wish they’d sell it in 7 oz cans or tubes, but for now I just have to find ways to use the rest of the can. Yesterday’s new way to use up a half can of condensed milk was this granola.
Condensed Milk Granola Notes
The recipe is based on one called “Golden Snacking Granola” from Eagle Brand. Instead of combining sugar, water, honey (or syrup), you just mix the dry ingredients and pour in the liquids. It is convenient, and a good way to use up condensed milk.
Mix and Match Ingredients
You can tailor this recipe to suit your mood. I made this version with cashews, almonds and dried cherries. I also used coconut oil and added vanilla. One thing to keep in mind, especially if you halve the recipe, is that this granola browns pretty quickly, so you really do have to be vigilant about stirring. I let mine go a little bit too long during the first part of the baking cycle and the bottom got very brown. Luckily, it didn’t taste burnt, but it wasn’t exactly “golden”. As for flavor, when it first comes out of the oven you might detect the condensed milk. As it sets and crisps the condensed milk flavor fades away and you hardly know it’s there.
Granola Made With Condensed Milk
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup roasted almonds
- 3/4 cup roasted cashews
- 1 cup flaked coconut I used unsweetened shredded
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Line a large rimmed pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients except cherries in large bowl; mix well. Spread evenly on rimmed pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes (important!). Remove from oven and let cool completely. Stir in the dried cherries.
- Let the granola cool completely. Store in an airtight container.