One of my goals for the new year is to post more savory recipes, so here’s one of our current favorites. We eat a lot of pizza, and my daughter really loves the ones made with chicken. Caramelized Onions, Smoked Gouda Chicken Pizza is a combination of our favorite flavors, and it’s pretty easy to throw together — especially if you already have the cooked chicken.
Since the topping is the best part of this pizza, I just indicated a 12 inch ready-made crust. Use whatever crust you like! I tend to jump around when it comes to crusts and use whatever I’m in the mood for — homemade, Trader Joe’s, store bought naan, or the the big pitas from Mediterranean bakeries here in Chicago. This pizza was just made on a flour tortilla, and as you see I threw some cauliflower and bacon on it.
Caramelized Onions, Smoked Gouda Chicken Pizza
- 1 12 inch pizza crust -- homemade or pre-baked
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onion 1/2 pound, more if you like
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt optional
- 1 1/2 cups diced fully cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup nuts walnuts or pecans okay too
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees or the temperature indicated on the pizza crust package.
- Put the butter and olive oil in a large skillet and set heat to medium. Add onions and sugar and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring often, until onion is soft and edges are browned. Season with black pepper and a little salt if desired. Turn off heat and toss in the Worcestershire sauce and chicken.
- Sprinkle half the mozzarella and Gouda over the crust. Scatter spinach leaves over cheese, then top with chicken & onion mixture and remaining cheese. Sprinkle walnuts over top and season with remaining pepper.
- Bake pizza as directed on package for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly