This picture is truly unappealing, but the pizza is so good! I just need to update the photo, which shouldn’t be difficult because we eat a lot of pizza. Caramelized Onions, Smoked Gouda Chicken Pizza is one of my favorites mainly because of the smoked Gouda. I went through a phase where I was putting it in everything and combining it with caramelized onions and pecans. I even used it in a rice recipe once! But here it is in pizza.
Caramelized Onions Smoked Gouda Chicken Pizza is easy, especially if you have some cooked chicken around, And for the crust, you can use anything — even a giant tortilla, as I did with the pizza in the photo. Use whatever crust you like! I tend to jump around when it comes to crusts and use whatever I’m in the mood for — homemade pizza dough, Trader Joe’s, store bought naan, or the the big pitas from Mediterranean bakeries here in Chicago.
Caramelized Onions, Smoked Gouda Chicken Pizza
- 1 12 inch pizza crust -- homemade or pre-baked
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onion 1/2 pound, more if you like
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt optional
- 1 1/2 cups diced fully cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup nuts walnuts or pecans okay too
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees or the temperature indicated on the pizza crust package.
- Put the butter and olive oil in a large skillet and set heat to medium. Add onions and sugar and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring often, until onion is soft and edges are browned. Season with black pepper and a little salt if desired. Turn off heat and toss in the Worcestershire sauce and chicken.
- Sprinkle half the mozzarella and Gouda over the crust. Scatter spinach leaves over cheese, then top with chicken & onion mixture and remaining cheese. Sprinkle walnuts over top and season with remaining pepper.
- Bake pizza as directed on package for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly