I generally avoid people trying to hand me things on the street, but not when they’re handing out cookies! It doesn’t happen every day, but sometimes companies do promotions on street corners and give out some pretty fine samples. My favorites thus far have been free Glade candles and Pocky, and now I can add Chips Ahoy to the list. Our family accumulated several bags of Chips Ahoy just walking around the city doing our usual things, so I had enough cookies to make this awesome Chips Ahoy Icebox Cake.
The Chips Ahoy we used were actually the Chips Ahoy! Cinnamon Sugar Thins . I didn’t know that cinnamon flavored Chips Ahoy existed, but they’re pretty darn good — like Snickerdoodles, but better. So our icebox cake is not Chocolate Chip, but rather Cinnamon. It’s pretty easy to make, but I recommend doing so when cookies are on sale, because you’ll need two bags. You’ll have enough for the cake with a few leftover for sampling.
- 45 Chips Ahoy Thins (buy 2 bags)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons of powdered sugar, plus more if desired
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Some chopped nuts (any kind) for topping
- Have ready a 2 quart 8 inch square baking dish.
- Whip the cream, gradually adding the sugar and vanilla.
- Spread a very thin layer of whipped cream across the bottom of the dish, then line up 9 cookies.
- Top with a layer of whipped cream (about a cup -- but this is an estimate) and then keep layering with more cookies and whipped cream to make 5 layers of 9. Spread whipped cream across top.
- Cover and chill for 4 to 6 hours. Regular size Chips Ahoy will take 6 hours to soften, but the Thins will probably be soft in 4.
- Sprinkle your favorite type of nuts over the top.