Small Batch Vegan Molasses Cookies (metric incl)

I’m fighting off a bug and decided to go with something easy today. This molasses cookie is similar to one I found on Vegweb. The original version had a a different name, but I changed the name to something more appropriate.

I added metric equivalents for those of you in other countries. Hopefully I got all the milliliters right. I know I got the grams right because I weighed each ingredient on my new scale.

Omnivores will like these too.

molasses cookies

vegan molasses cookies

Small Batch Vegan Molasses Cookies (metric included)

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour (145 grams)
1 teaspoon baking soda (5 ml)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (2.5 ml)
1/2 teaspoon ginger (2.5 ml)
1/4 teaspoon cloves (1.25 ml)
1/8 teaspoon salt (.6 ml)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (99 grams)
6 tablespoons vegetable oil (90 ml)
2 tablespoons molasses (30 ml)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (2.5 ml)
2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce (30 ml) – drain on a paper towel, then measure
Sparkly sugar for flair

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F or 165 degrees C.

In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.

In a second bowl, mix brown sugar, vegetable oil, molasses, vanilla and apple sauce.

Add flour mixture to brown sugar mixture and stir until mixed. Using a tablespoon measure, scoop up dough and form nice mounds. Place the mounds about 2 ½ inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (Silpat is okay) and sprinkle tops with sparkly sugar. Bake for 13-16 minutes. Let cool for 2 minute on sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cool.

Makes about 14 cookies

Note:  I used 6 tablespoons of oil,  but I think the cookies would be great with as little as 4 tablesoons (1/4 cup) — 60 ml

Comments

1. Hélène says

Well I can’t believe you did it! You actually included the metric…thank you so much!
    These look delicious too, I can’t wait to taste them with my family.
    Thanks again for us poor europeans!

Hi Hélène,

I hope you enjoy the cookies. It will be interesting to see if the metric measurements work for an *actual* European baker ;).

3. meredith says

silly question — but what is pu-ehr tea? You mentioned it in another post, but I didn’t find any in the tea section of our store. A brand? Variety?

Glad you’re feeling better.

Meredith, it’s a variety of Chinese tea with a really earth flavor. My favorite brand is by Adagio. I buy it at a liquor/gourmet store called Specs, but you can also order it on-line.

You might not like the flavor at first, because it really does tastes the way a barn smells, but it grows on you and then you start to crave it.

Here’s the stuff I buy….it’s a good starter pu erh

Here are some other links. If you like black coffee, there’s a chance you’ll like pu erh.

5. meredith says

Groovy. I adore black coffee, so maybe I’ll like — if I hold my nose as I drink it! But won’t I look hip, dunking my vegan cookies in elixir tea! :)

6. Kate says

For Christmas I got some pu erh tea from Teavana and I thought the exact same thing at first… it tasted like earth/dirt? I just keep thinking of the health benefits!

I bought some at a tea store in Chelsea Market in NYC. It was in ball form rather than bag and was so strong that I didn’t really enjoy it. A few weeks later, back in Austin, I bought a box of the Adagio brand which comes in triangular bags. It was barn/dirt/stable tasting, but mellower. I held my nose a little at first, the slowly started to breathe it in and enjoy it. Now I crave it.

Another source is Zhi Tea. I’ve met the owners of the company and they are just the nicest people and dedicated to good tea. Here’s a link to their pu erh.

8. Peggy says

Hey – I read your blog after my kid goes to bed. I just got caught up with the last few entries and saw where someone said,” I’m glad you didn’t quit the blog”. Me too! I have a 5 yr old daughter with severe peanut and tree nut allergies I look to your blog for inspiration and try to adapt the recipe. I love your tips! Keep blogging, I hope this short message inspires you. Your blog inspires me. Btw – if I baked everyday, I would weigh 500 lbs. I have ZERO will power!

peggy

9. Hélène says

Well, I made the cookies and they turned out just fine… there’s only one left and not for long!
    Still, I think I’ll try with butter next time, because there is nothing like the tatse of butter in cookies.
    Thanks again and keep up the frenzy posting!!! We love it!

Hélène, thanks for being the first to test out my metric measures. I agree, butter is delicious! I thought these were good too, though. I might add some crystallized ginger next time.

11. kibbles says

Thank you so much for these cookies! I went looking online, per my boyfriends request, and viola! Even though I messed up the recipe; don’t have cloves, used some banana instead of apple sauce, put in way too much molasses and tried to salvage it by “eyeing”, they turned out perfect! They didn’t spread out as much as your photos, but they’re soft and yummy and I might eat them all before the boy gets home! Thank you again, they’re mpermanently on my list of “Vegan Cookies to Feed Hesitant Omni’s” :)

Had these yesterday at the Craft magazine party at the work*shop. Soo very good. Thanks for the recipe! Jen A

13. Mistresstina says

Hi

I just made these cookies for a holiday party and they came out so excellent! I doubled the recipe and instead of sprinkling sugar on top I rolled them in balls and dipped in sugar before baking.

My best friend is vegan and I am always trying to find tasty things to make her. Let’s just say she has eaten alot of horrible vegan food..

This is by far the best vegan recipe I have ever found and I can’t wait to try your other recipes! I also love how your vegan recipes do not include any weird ingredients! I made these cookies out of all stuff I already had in my pantry. You really have a gift!

14. reziah says

I used 4 tbsp of oil and mine came out a little different from the picture. (More like a ball shape and less like a normal flat cookie) But they were very very yummy. My husband (who is very fussy when it comes to junk food) liked them! (A victory) Thanks for posting.

Lots of vegans use molasses.

Honey is definitely not vegan because it comes from bees, but as far as I know molasses is vegan.

16. Phaedra says

For the butter lovers who would like to try vegan use coconut oil instead. Yummy butter
    consistency in the mouth and no cholesterol!

17. Sahra says

These cookies are amazing! Thanks for the recipe. A few tweeks and they become my own and still come out great. I appreciate your innovation!