If you are a fan of crunchy chocolate chip cookies, I have a special treat for you today. It’s an easy, butter-only (no shortening) recipe for a thin-to-medium-thickness chocolate chip cookie that is crunchy through and through. Here’s the recipe as I made it, with notes about the flour. If you have a scale, it’s best to weigh the flour for accuracy since it can settle in the canister or bag.
Update: If you like these or just want to try another good and crunchy (and kind of crispy) cookie, I also recommend these Crispy Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are a house favorite, especially when I throw in a few M&Ms! It took me a while to get them crisp through and through, but I finally figured out the trick.
- 1 3/4 cups (220 grams), stir and aerate flour before measuring
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar(98 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment.
- Sift or thoroughly whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and both sugars with an electric mixer; Add egg and vanilla and beat until egg is mixed in.
- Add flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto the parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes (or longer) or until the edges start to brown. The baking powder prevents the cookies from browning quickly, so it seems the cookies can bake a longer time and becoming crunchier without burning or getting overly brown. I baked mine on an insulated cookie sheet, so if you notice your bottoms are browning too fast, switch to an insulated cookie sheet or stack you cookie sheet on top of another one to make your own insulated sheet.
For mini chocolate chip cookies, preheat the oven to 300 instead of 350. Make tiny marble size rounds and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.