Chocolate Eclairs II

by on January 2, 2009 · 12 comments

Well Hi,

How’s your National Cream Puff Day going? Hopefully things are okay. Did you make any cream puffs? I didn’t, but I made some éclairs. They’re not very pretty, but I haven’t made them in a while so I guess that’s okay.

I probably should have made cream puffs since it is Cream Puff Day and not Éclair Day, but these were good anyway.

The recipe is here. I think one of my resolutions is going to be to make more cream puffs. I played around with different fillings and threw 2 batches out. Luckily, they were small and I was smart enough to buy instant pudding to make the default backup filling that came with the recipe Meanwhile, I’m still on the lookout for good cream puff fillings.

Love, Cookie Madness

eclair

Published on January 2, 2009

Katrina January 2, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Looks/sounds like you’re having a great, fun day in the kitchen!
I love that—-Love, Cookie Madness
We all feel the same, too! ;)

VeggieGirl January 2, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Fun baking experiment!! Hope you find the perfect filling!!

Sue January 2, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Wow! Cookie Madness, you’ve had a productive day! Good luck finding the filling of your dreams.

Terri January 2, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Those look soooo good! I don’t suppose you could make them light for all of us who are “vowing to lose weight” for 2009??? It’s really just cruel that Cream Puff Day falls right after the New Year, don’t you think?

Sara January 2, 2009 at 11:06 pm

I didn’t get to make any cream puffs today, but your eclairs look great!

Tracy January 2, 2009 at 11:10 pm

No cream puffs for me either! Eclairs seem so ambitious … I just don’t have the energy after the holiday baking … but yours look great!

snookydoodle January 3, 2009 at 12:15 am

these look delicous. I would eat a dozeen :)fortunetly I can’t so I can stick to my new year resolution (that on losing weight)

Gina January 3, 2009 at 1:49 am

First of all, I think your eclairs looks very nice. :-)

Secondly, do I have the filling for you! This is my VERY favorite (from an old issue of Food and Wine)–good enough to eat all by itself with a spoon, though I don’t advise it. ;-)

PASTRY CREAM

2 cups whole milk
1/4 vanilla bean, seeds scraped (I use a whole one!)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons cake flour
pinch of salt
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream

In a medium saucepan, bring the milk, vanilla bean and seeds just to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the sugar with the cake flour and salt. Whisk in the egg and egg yolks. Slowly add the hot milk, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking constantly. Continue to boil the pastry cream, whisking constantly, until thick, about 30 seconds longer. Immediately strain the pastry cream through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until cool. (It’s much faster if you use an ice bath…FYI.)

In a medium bowl, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Whisk the pastry cream, then fold in the whipped cream until blended. YUM!

This is the filling I use for eclairs (why make cream puffs when you can make eclairs??). Here’s the link to the post about them on my blog if you’d like to check it out:

Gina January 3, 2009 at 1:51 am

Correction to the above comment:

Your eclairs LOOK very nice (hello, college professor–nice subject/verb agreement!). Well, it’s late, and I’m groggy.

Randi January 3, 2009 at 4:03 am

CI’s pastry cream is amazing too!!

Nicole January 3, 2009 at 10:33 am

The best filling I ever made was cream cheese based. I’m not sure I remember the recipe though!

dawn January 3, 2009 at 11:45 am

I think they came out great! How did they taste is what matters most.