Malted Milk Blondies

by on February 23, 2009 · 20 comments

Hey Ho! Cookie Madness is starting the week with some malty deliciousness from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking. For those of you not familiar with the topic, Baked is a popular bakery in Brooklyn which became slightly famous when Oprah Winfrey named their brownies as one of her favorite things.

But there’s more to Baked than just brownies. The book has all kinds of easy-to-make recipes with clever little twists; for instance, blondies with malt. The Baked guys called the brownies “Brewer’s Brownies” because they use malt from a local brewery. But knowing that the general public (that’s us) would have difficulties getting actual malt, they modified the recipe so that it could be made with malted milk powder such as Carnation, Ovaltine or Horlick’s.

If you’re not ready to buy the book yet, you can grab the original recipe off NPR or use my half-batch modified version.

Malted Milk Blondies

Malted Milk Blondies

1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all purpose flour (5 oz)
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons malted milk powder
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, cut into 1-inch cubes
3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped malt balls
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch metal pan with non-stick foil or line with regular foil and spray with cooking spray.

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and malted milk powder; stir well and set aside.

Beat the butter and brown sugar until they are creamy. By hand or using lowest speed of your mixer, stir in the egg and vanilla (don’t beat the egg too much); Stir flour mixture into butter mixture in three parts. When last flour addition is almost blended, add malt, chocolate and walnuts and mix until flour disappears

Bake in the center of the oven for 25 to 27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the blondies comes out clean.

Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Grasp foil, lift from pan and score into 12 bars. The guys from Bake say these are good warm. I’m sure they are, but I liked them better after they’d set.

Makes 12

Published on February 23, 2009

Joanna February 23, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Anna,

First of all, I LOVE your website and cookie experiments. So creative and inspiring. (Also, I love the hummus recipe you posted in the appetizers section. It’s now a standard in my house!)

About Baked–I went to the Charleston shop recently and was so impressed with their desserts. They are known for their brownies & blondies, but actually, my favorite item was the Chocolate Cloud cookie! I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of them, but they are dark, rich, and chewy. Crackly on the outside and gooey in the middle with a very shiny appearance. I’ve been trying to recreate the recipe ever since and haven’t quite gotten it yet–but the Shiny Happy Choc. Cookies you made are a close second!

I’d be interested to see if other bloggers have given a Baked Chocolate Cloud Copycat recipe a try! Thanks again for your dedication to the baking world!

VeggieGirl February 23, 2009 at 1:15 pm

BLONDIES!!!!!!!!

Katrina February 23, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Yummy malt!

snookydoodle February 23, 2009 at 1:22 pm

wow I like malt. These look so good and delicous. I bet the taste is spectacular :)

dawn February 23, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I FINALLY broke down and bought that cookbook. It is amazing. Those pb & choco cookies, oh my word. But that root beer bundt cake was out of this world.
I will have to try these blondies.

Amy February 23, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Ooooooo!!! Thanks Anna! These look awesome! I will definitely have to try them out. I love malt anything!

Emily February 23, 2009 at 2:56 pm

These look incredible. I love that they have the malt powder, but also the malted milk balls and walnuts.

Katy February 23, 2009 at 3:04 pm

The Baked chocolate cloud cookies are similar to Francois Payard’s chocolate cookies, Maida Heatter’s Savannah Chocolate Chewies, aka Gottlieb’s chocolate chewies. A dark cocoa, sugar and egg white base with finely chopped nuts.

Anna February 23, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Katy,

Thanks! I was wondering if maybe they were similar.

Joanna, here’s another recipe that might be similar.

Anna February 23, 2009 at 3:11 pm

One thing I didn’t mention above was that they have a really good malt flavor. Even with only a tablespoon of malt powder (for the half version) they’re malty.

Karen February 23, 2009 at 4:02 pm

These look great, I love malt, gotta pick up a couple of pouches of Whoppers and I will be making these very soon.

Elyse February 23, 2009 at 4:16 pm

I’ve been eying this recipe for quite some time. Looking at your pictures, now I know I have to make these right now! They look soooo good!

Jennifer February 23, 2009 at 4:24 pm

The malted balls bring back memories as a child! I love the idea of these cookies!! :)

catherine at unconfidentialcook.com February 23, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I love malted milk balls more than life, especially espresso milk chocolate milk balls. These blondies will do it, too. Thank you!

janet February 23, 2009 at 5:14 pm

OMG, these blondies look sooooo good….I seem to have developed a weakness for blondies lately. Thanks, Anna!

Pearl February 23, 2009 at 7:00 pm

malted blondies? wooo!

Steph February 24, 2009 at 8:46 am

i don’t really like malt balls but these look so soft and gooey! yummy!

Stephanie February 24, 2009 at 9:17 am

Ooh yum! I LOVED the Baked brownies recipe and I happen to have some malted milk powder! I’m gonna have to make theseeee!

Dana February 24, 2009 at 1:28 pm

I made these a month or so ago, and they are amazing! My husband is a huge fan of anything malt-flavored, so I sent them to work with him to get them out of the house. They were gone in no time!

Have you tried the Sweet & Salty Cake from the book? I’ve decided that I will make that for myself for my birthday next month…well, actually my husband said he and the kids would *try* to make it, but I’m not sure I trust them with something so complicated… ;o)

Karen March 6, 2009 at 6:16 pm

I finally made these, mine took a few extra minutes to bake. My malted milk powder was hard as a rock, but I chiseled some off and zapped it in my mini food-processor and it came back to life. These are just great. Thanks!