The Best Sugar Cookies (at least for now)

Last year a friend asked if I’d auction off a kind of “Cookie of the Month” service for our school’s silent auction. The highest bidder would get freshly made cookies dropped off at their house once a month. I was worried Todd would end up having to bid on me, but someone beat him to it and for the past few months I’ve been taking cookies to a sweet family who are open minded about the arrangement and have happily accepted whatever I’ve felt like making. This month’s cookies were pretty basic, and included a batch of my favorite sugar cookies.

UPDATE:  Link no longer works, but recipe can be found in this book.

Carole Walter’s Super Sugar Sparkles

These can be made two ways. I usually make them as per CW’s directions, but have also been known to make them with white whole grain flour and ground up evaporated cane juice crystals. I prefer the whole grain cane juice cookies because they have kind of a wheaty caramel flavor, but you do have to make some adjustments to the dough. It’s dryer, so it takes more milk and the cookies don’t spread as much.

When making the cookies as directed, I’ve had the best results when using a light hand with the flour. That is, 340 grams for 3 cups of flour, which is only about 4 oz per cup. So weigh the flour or fluff the flour, spoon it into the cup and level very lightly. As for the cookies, they’re flat (like in the picture), have crispy edges and tender centers. I like using vanilla, but I think they’d also be good with a little lemon thrown in or a dash of orange extract. These are definitely my favorite right now, but that could change.

sugar cookies

Comments

1. PlumGaga says

I also offered a cookie-of-the-month at an auction and delivered my third batch — classic chocolate chips — this morning! So far, only complements.

I haven’t made sugar cookies in years, not even this past christimas. If you say this one is the best (for now) then I believe you.

I’m a sucker for sugar cookies and these look great. Would you be willing to post your tweaked version with the cane juice crystals? Thanks!

Hi Anna!
    I just stopped by and looked again at that photo. Are the milk glass and composition book really small or are those cookies huge? Just wondering. I think the recipe says they’re abut 5 inch cookies but yours look bigger.
    I just did a bunch of data entry at my volunteer job. Maybe my brain is playing tricks on me.

5. Kimberly says

Hi,

These cookies look great, but I love the idea of cookie of the month, I love to bake and this would make a great gift idea if the opportunities arises this year with my two ds school. Can I ask a few questions:

How many cookies did you bring? Was is a dozen or two?
    How did you bring them over? Reusable tins or just wrapped in saran wrap?
    Did the receivers after getting to know them were able to make requests? did you try maybe a quick bread one month in place of cookies?

I love to bake it’s my one passion and hopefully one day a career, and I just love this idea…

Thanks,
    Kim

Kim, those are great questions!

What we did was auction off a certificate saying the winner would get 2 dozen cookies delivered every month for 4 months. The certificate included contact info and the winner could get the cookies on any day (provided I was in town) or for any even she/he wanted. My winner just told me to bring her whatever, whenever (evenings) and we discussed some of her favorites. As for delivery, I put my cookies in brown sacks from Paper Mart. These are the BEST. I love these little bags because they are functional and not unattractive. They’re not flashy, but they look good and they keep the cookies fresh.

But you can package things however you want. At one point, the Target Dollar Stop at these cute $1.00 canvas bags and I put a bunch of the filled brown bags in the canvas sack and delivered the cookies in that.

7. Kimberly says

Anna,

thank you for the information, it was so helpful. I’m def. going to give this a try this year.

The link to this recipe gives me a 404/not found. I’d love to try it–can you put the recipe in the comment box. I really just need the ingredients and the baking time. I can figure out how to put it together. thanks!