I promise to put away the jumbo muffin pan and move on, but here’s one more really good variation on KA’s chocolate muffin. This one includes a full cup of pumpkin which adds moisture, bulk, fiber and surprisingly little pumpkin flavor. In fact, if you don’t tell people there’s pumpkin in the muffin, they probably won’t know it’s there.
Another change was using whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose. You could still use all purpose if you like or maybe even regular whole wheat, but make sure to weigh out exactly 220 grams or spoon and sweep carefully so you don’t use too much. These aren’t quite as moist as the banana muffins, but they’re moister than the bourbon version and a little more nourishing. Of course, there’s always room for improvement!
This is a fun recipe to play with and it halves quite easily should you wish to do more experimenting/less wasting. I have a few more ideas in mind, but will wait and see what everyone else comes up with! Prune puree? Oil instead of butter? Coconut Sugar???
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (220 grams) – weigh or spoon and sweep
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups lightly packed light brown sugar
- 8 oz canned pumpkin (about a cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 6 jumbo muffin cups with paper liners.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Stir the brown sugar around in a second bowl and mash out any lumps. Stir in the pumpkin, eggs, milk, and vanilla and mix well. Pour the dry mixture into the pumpkin mixture and stir a few strokes, then pour the melted butter in and stir (never over-beat muffin batter) until blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees F. Divide batter equally among muffin cups and bake for 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick or chopstick inserted in center comes out clean.