Buttermilk Biscuits

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

So far we’ve spent the holiday shopping for furniture, which is quite stressful as I have a terrible time visualizing how spaces should look before they’re furnished. What I’ve learned is that it helps to have a personal style or some sort of theme in mind. We weren’t sure what that was so we took a battery of psychological decorating tests to find we are “American Traditional”.  What a shock.  But sticking to a theme does seem to help things flow better and we’ve managed to pull together furniture for a couple of rooms in the new house.  I’ll post pictures soon!  That is, when we have an actual house.

In other news, Friday was Fuzz’s piano recital and she did a wonderful job playing Memory from Cats. Here’s a picture of her in the dress I mentioned the other day within the context of why I got stuck making Fast Rising Breadsticks.

dress

Which brings me to today’s recipe, which happened to be another fast bread — biscuits!  The perfect companion to fried chicken.

This recipe was awesome. The dough was strange – light, but lumpy and sticky.  Still, the biscuits cut just fine. Next time I’ll cut them a little fatter so they’ll rise higher. As far as flavor and texture, they were just about perfect. The original biscuit recipe is from Alton Brown, but I cut it in half and added a little sugar. The sugar doesn’t make the biscuits sweet, but I think it enhances the other flavors and rounds everything out.

buttermilk biscuits

Small Batch Buttermilk Biscuits

1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
3/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, chopped up
1 tablespoon shortening
1/2 cup cold buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a large bowl and stir very well. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture is coarse. Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.

Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter (or rim of a glass — I always use my McDonaldland glasses for this task). Place biscuits on baking sheet. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting.

Bake until biscuits are golden– 15 to 20 minutes. Mine took a full 20 minutes and I managed to get 5 good sized biscuits out of this. Next time I might make them larger and yield 4.

Comments

Fuzz looks so grown up and lady like in her black and white dress, and black shoes! Her hair looks really nice too! I hope she felt really special that day!

The next time I make biscuits I hope I remember this recipe. They sound wonderful. I kind of wanted to make biscuits for dinner last night but that didn’t happen.

Fuzz says thanks for the compliments.

Dave, I think biscuits are a bit lighter textured with shortening, but butter would probably be just fine.

Sue, thanks for noticing Fuzz’s shoes. They’re her first pair of heels.

3. Louise says

Oh my gosh. Fuzz looks so grown up in her new dress. I’m glad she did well with her performance of “Memory”. I took piano lessons all the way through high school, but my teacher came to our house and I never as much as met another of his students, let alone give a performance.

I made this biscuit recipe a couple of months ago when I needed something to go with beef stew. They were very tasty.

anna- i’m so glad you tried this. i love my alton brown, but have you ever tried his blueberry muffin recipe? i have 3 times and it never comes out right. this never happens to me.

5. Karen says

Love the picture of Fuzz! My daughter had her 10th(!) piano recital May 2. One more year to go and then college. Yikes!

I am not a huge fan of biscuits but lately i have been trying many different recipes trying to find a flakey yet soft biscuit. UGH, no luck yet.
    Yours look like they would be great with fresh berries and cream for a dessert.

Fuzz looks so pretty in that dress! The biscuits look great — I’d probably add a little sugar, too.

Wow, congratulations to Emma! She looks so grown up and pretty in her recital dress too. :)
    Hope you had a nice Memorial Day weekend!

Oh my goodness, furniture shopping is sooo hard for me too. I had a designer come in this year and he totally rearranged everything and told me what I should buy. Your little girl is beautiful…how blessed we are to have healthy kids!!!

10. Katherine says

Thanks for this recipe. Came in handy tonight for a quick strawberry shortcake. I made it into 3 big biscuits which was perfect for a for us.