The recipe for Wanda Brown’s Rich & Dark Brownies was sent to me by Kristin who used to work for The Tennessean. At one point the paper asked readers to send in brownie recipes. The Tennessean staff baked and tasted tested the recipes and this recipe from Wanda Brown was deemed the best.
Below is the original Wanda Brown Dark Brownies recipe, but I’ve added gram measurements and a few notes with changes I make including really whipping the eggs with some of the sugar. Wanda’s Brownies remind me of Tiff’s Treats brownies in that they are fudgy and light at the same time. You can change the flavor by using different brand of chocolate. The ones in the photo below were made with 2 oz of unsweetened Ghirardelli and 4 oz of melted Valrhona semisweet, so they were pretty awesome! I threw some more chocolate and nuts on top of the hot brownies at the end, as you can see.
Update: I’m posting this update in 2020 to say that I still love this recipe. It halves well. Just use an 8 inch pan and bake at 350 for 25 minutes then lower heat to 325 and bake for another 5 (total about 30). Internal temperature in middle of brownies should be around 210 and they will be fudgy. If you want a slightly cakier (yet still light textured) brownie, I recommend the Deluxe Inch Pan Brownies recipe.
Wanda's Rich & Dark Brownies
- 8 oz salted butter 8 oz/230 grams
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels 4 oz
- 4 large eggs beaten separately
- 2 cups sugar 400 grams
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 130 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease a 12x8 pan (or a 13x9 inch).
- Combine the butter and both chocolates in a pan, and slowly melt on top of the stove. stirring frequently.
- Separately in a bowl, and using an electric mixer, add the remaining ingredients in the order given. Mix well.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour into the greased dish. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees uncovered. Then reduce heat to 325 degrees, cover with aluminum foil, baking 5-10 more minutes (depending on how hot your oven cooks). You want this gooey, but set. Let cool, and enjoy each delicious, RICH bite !