Wow, I forgot how busy things get during the last week of May. There are graduation parties, Memorial Day gatherings, a few friends with birthdays and for those traveling, last minute planning for summer trips (Woo hoo!). I love it. Everybody’s in a good mood, so in some ways it’s like the holiday season….just hotter.
Anyway, it was with Memorial Day on my mind that I made a batch of these brownies topped with marshmallows and chocolate coated Rice Krispies. I’ve posted a similar recipe that uses box brownie mix, but yesterday I made a new and improved scratch version and felt it might be helpful. This is also made in an 8 inch square pan, so you won’t have quite so many to share. If you try them, let me know! I think this scratch base works pretty well, but you can always default back to a plain brownie mix base (just make sure to double the toppings if using a 9×13 inch pan).
Marshmallow Krispy Topped Brownies
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder half Dutch, half natural
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cold large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2.3 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter or try hazelnut spread!
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with nonstick foil.
- Melt the butter in a 3 quart nonstick saucepan. Stir in the sugar and the cocoa powder. Reduce heat to low and stir gently for about 30 seconds to warm the sugar. Turn off the heat and let the sugar mixture sit for 5 minutes. Stir in the salt and vanilla.
- Add the cold eggs, whisking or stirring just until mixed, then mix the flour and baking powder together in a little cup and stir them into the batter.
- Spread the batter in the pan and bake for 23 minutes. Quickly scatter marshmallows over the top and bake another 2 minutes to soften marshmallows. Tap them down a little with a spatula, then let cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare topping. In your 3 quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add the chocolate chips, stirring until melted and smooth. Stir in the peanut butter. Add cereal and stir until cereal is coated. Drop spoonfuls of cereal mixture over marshmallow layer, spreading as evenly as possible. Things will look gooey at this point, so don’t even think about cutting.
- Put the brownies in the refrigerator for a few hours to chill. Lift from pan, trim the edges, then cut into 4 big squares. Cut those squares into smaller square to make 16.