Basic White Bread that rises high and stays light and fluffy was the goal here. This recipe came though! It’s a basic white bread that is not too heavy, yet not so fluffy that it falls apart under the weigh of sandwich filling. The recipe calls for half a packet of yeast (1 1/8 teaspoon) and makes standard size loaf.
Here’s a photo of the cross-section. The bread rose a little too high over the edge of the pan because it is in an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan. You may want to go with a 9×5 inch pan.
Bring on the peanut butter and jelly! Or maybe the bacon. Basic White Bread is the one you want if you just want something tasty that works well with sandwiches.
Basic White Bread Without a Bread Machine
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 5 teaspoons of unsalted butter
- 3 to 3 ½ cups of about 13.5 oz plus more if needed bread flour
- 5 teaspoons of granulated sugar
- 1 1/8 teaspoon salt Morton Kosher**
- 1 1/8 teaspoon of yeast half a packet active dry yeast
- In a microwave-safe liquid measuring cup, combine the water, milk and butter. Microwave for 1 minute, and then stick a thermometer in the mixture. It should be about 125 degrees or hotter. If it’s hotter, let it cool down to about 125 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1 cup of the flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Gradually add the 125 degree liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir well. Add remaining flour 1 cup at a time until you have a dough that is not too dry, nor too sticky.
- Attach the dough hook to the mixer and knead with the mixer for about 8 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Rub a second bowl with butter. Put the dough in the greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Press it down and pat it into a rectangle. Roll into a cylinder and put the cylinder in a greased and floured 8 ½ by 4 ½ inch loaf pan.
- Put the loaf pan in a warm place and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 45 minutes or until loaf is browned and feels hollow when tapped. Let cool completely, then remove from the pan and slice.