One of my goals for the new year is to post more savory recipes, so here’s one of our current favorites. We eat a lot of pizza, and my daughter really loves the ones made with chicken. Caramelized Onions, Smoked Gouda Chicken Pizza is a combination of our favorite flavors, and it’s pretty easy to throw together — especially if you already have the cooked chicken.
Since the topping is the best part of this pizza, I just indicated a 12 inch ready-made crust. Use whatever crust you like! I tend to jump around when it comes to crusts and use whatever I’m in the mood for — homemade, Trader Joe’s, store bought naan, or the the big pitas from Mediterranean bakeries here in Chicago. This pizza was just made on a flour tortilla, and as you see I threw some cauliflower and bacon on it.
- 1 (12 inch) pizza crust -- homemade or pre-baked
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onion, 1/2 pound, more if you like
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt, optional
- 1 1/2 cups diced fully cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup nuts, walnuts or pecans okay too
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees or the temperature indicated on the pizza crust package.
- Put the butter and olive oil in a large skillet and set heat to medium. Add onions and sugar and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring often, until onion is soft and edges are browned. Season with black pepper and a little salt if desired. Turn off heat and toss in the Worcestershire sauce and chicken.
- Sprinkle half the mozzarella and Gouda over the crust. Scatter spinach leaves over cheese, then top with chicken & onion mixture and remaining cheese. Sprinkle walnuts over top and season with remaining pepper.
- Bake pizza as directed on package for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly
If you don't feel like buying the two different kinds of cheese, you can make the pizza with Italian Five Cheese Blend. The flavor will be slightly different, but still good.
If you are making this with Pillsbury canned dough, I recommend their thin crust variety. For best results, spread it in a pan and bake for 7 minutes. Add the toppings and then bake for another 7 to 9 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges are crisp.