I was very impressed with the shape and texture of yesterday’s Zucchini Bread with Cream Cheese Filling and decided to try a variation — a Zucchini, Apple and Carrot Bread. Instead of 3 cups of shredded zucchini, I used 1 cup each apple, zucchini and carrots and nixed the cream cheese filling in favor of a simple drizzle of icing. This one’s even better than yesterday’s!
My only regret is that I didn’t have a red apple because I could have left in a little of the peel and had flecks of red, green and orange. The only apple in the house was a Granny Smith so the flecks are green and orange. Guess I’ll have to make another loaf.
Also, it’s worth seeking out a pair of small 8×4 inch size pan. That size is harder to find these days, but Amazon and Walmart.com do have them. They usually come in pairs and aren’t very expensive, but they make perfect sized, tall, stately loaves.
- 3 cups (15 oz) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded apples
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted and chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom only of two 8x4 inch loaf pans or line the bottom with a strip of parchment**.
- Mix the flour, baking soda,baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, eggs, oil, zucchini, apples, carrots and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until mixed. Stir in pecans.
- Pour about 1/2 of the batter into two greased loaf pans.
- Bake in the lower third of the oven for 55 -60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves with a knife, then carefully turn from pan (or lift your strips of parchment) and let cool completely before slicing.
- If you choose to ice it, make the icing by mixing together 1 tablespoon of melted butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and enough milk or water (I used water) to make the icing drizzling or piping consistency. Spoon or pipe the icing over the top of the loaf and leave at room temperature to set.