Strawberry Margarita Pie is a creamy strawberry pie made with pureed strawberries, lime juice, condensed milk, Triple Sec, Tequila and whipped cream. If that's not enough, it also has a salty pretzel crust! Or at least my version does. The original Epicurious graham has a graham cracker crust, The salty version is so much better.
Strawberry Margarita Pie is Boozy
This pie would probably be just fine without the Triple Sec and the Tequila, but if you are a margarita fan you should definitely keep them. Even in the small amounts, they add flavor and make the pie more like something you'd drink at a Mexican restaurant. If you are looking for something without the booze, here's a recipe that I also recommend -- Frosty Strawberry Squares. They're just as good, but in a different way.
Strawberry Margarita Pie
- 5 ½ tablespoons 80 grams butter
- ¼ cup 48 grams sugar
- 1 ½ cups finely crushed pretzels 4 oz/114 grams**
- 1 lb strawberries halved (3 ½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lime zest
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 can 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons triple sec
- 1 ½ cups chilled heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Stir in the sugar and crushed pretzels. Press pretzel mixture across bottom and up sides of a greased glass pie plate. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- Make filling: Purée strawberries, zest, lime juice, condensed milk, tequila, and liqueur in a blender or food processor until smooth, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Beat cream to stiff peaks. Fold one third of cream into strawberry mixture gently but thoroughly to lighten, then fold in remainder in 2 batches.
- Pour filling into crust, mounding it slightly, and freeze, uncovered, until firm, about 4 hours. Remove from freezer and let soften in refrigerator, about 40 minutes, before serving (pie should be semisoft).