Here’s today’s recipe which I made yesterday and which is a definite repeater. The original source is Epicurious but instead of a graham crackers, I used a pretzel crust. Todd loved it, but I though the pretzel crust was better suited for the traditional margarita pie than the strawberry and would probably go with the original Epicurious graham cracker crust next time. I would add extra Tequila, though. I used 3 T. Also, I tried to garnish it but somebody ate all my strawberries!
Strawberry Margarita Pie
- 5 1/2 tablespoons 80 grams butter
- 1/4 cup 48 grams sugar
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed pretzels 4 oz/114 grams**
- 1 lb strawberries halved (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons triple sec
- 1 1/2 cups chilled heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Stir in the sugar and crushed pretzels. Press pretzel mixture across bottom and up sides of a greased glass pie plate. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- Make filling: Purée strawberries, zest, lime juice, condensed milk, tequila, and liqueur in a blender or food processor until smooth, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Beat cream to stiff peaks. Fold one third of cream into strawberry mixture gently but thoroughly to lighten, then fold in remainder in 2 batches.
- Pour filling into crust, mounding it slightly, and freeze, uncovered, until firm, about 4 hours. Remove from freezer and let soften in refrigerator, about 40 minutes, before serving (pie should be semisoft).