Years ago Epicurious published a recipe called Inside Out Carrot Cake Cookies, two carrot flavored cookies with cream cheese icing sandwiched between them.
The majority of reviewers said they’d make the cookies again, but a lot of people said the cookies spread and recommended more flour. Being in a carrot cake mood, I had to see for myself.
Inside Out Carrot Cake Cookies Notes
The recipe was perfect as written. Well, almost. I used a standard cream cheese frosting in place of the honey cream cheese filling, but didn’t make any major changes to the dough and got some very nice cookies. I think the people who had issues with spreading may have left out the nuts because this recipe did not need extra flour. That being said, I did test with a little extra flour and the cookies were still good, just rounder and a little less crumbly. But so far these are probably the best carrot cake sandwich cookies I’ve tried.
This recipe is still one of our all-time favorites. They are similar to the ones at Trader Joe’s, so if you like theirs you can make them at home.
Inside Out Carrot Cake Cookies
- 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour 5 ounces/140 grams**
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick 114 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar 100 grams
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar 90 grams
- 1 large egg 48 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup coarsely grated carrots 2 medium – 110 grams
- 1 cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 ounces unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/3 heaping cups powdered sugar plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Beat butter until creamy. Add both sugars, egg, and vanilla and beat just until mixed. Add the flour mixture and stir until fully blended.
- Mix in carrots, nuts and raisins.
- Drop 26 mounds of dough onto parchment lined baking sheets spacing at least 2 ½ inches apart.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time on center rack for 12 -14 minutes or until edges are browned and centers appear set. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for about 4 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack.
- Prepare Filling. Beat together the softened butter and cream cheese, then gradually add sugar, beating and scraping bowl often. Beat in the vanilla.
- Sandwich the icing between two cookies.