S’mores Bars

by on September 20, 2009 · 18 comments

Speaking of S’mores Bars, this is my all-time favorite version of the  recipe — almost as good as real S’mores and much easier to cut and share.

S'mores  Bars

S’mores Bars — Adapted from Hershey’s Chocolate

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 (1.55 oz. each) HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate Bars
1 cup marshmallow creme

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 8-inch square baking pan or line the pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray (makes cutting easier).

Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Press half of dough into prepared pan.

Arrange chocolate bars over dough, breaking as needed to fit. Spread with marshmallow creme. Scatter bits of remaining dough over marshmallow; carefully press to form a layer.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. 16 bars.

Published on September 20, 2009

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets September 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I’ve bookmarked this recipe via Baking Bites and was just about to make this finally! Glad to know it’s a winner from yet another source. =)

VeggieGirl September 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Can’t beat a S’mores treat! :)

Dani September 20, 2009 at 6:56 pm

whoaaaa
those look SO GOOD
but a lot simpler way would be roasting a marshmallow over the stove (gas stove) and making the smores, or microwaving the grahams crackers and marshmallow, then adding the chocolate. nom!!
=)

pam shank September 20, 2009 at 8:33 pm

these look really good,will make for sure sometime this fall. thanks

Katrina September 20, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Those look GREAT.

jen September 21, 2009 at 5:46 am

the s’mores bars look great – love checking your site every day to see what you’ve ‘baked’ up:-).
i have an unrelated question (unrelated to s’mores that is). i could swear i remember seeing a post or list of nyc bakeries that you’ve visited or wanted to visit. i’m going next week and wanted to try to stop by a couple of them. i’ve been to levain (yum), but there are others i’m sure i should see/taste:-). forgive me if there’s an obvious link and i missed it. thanks so much!!

Anna September 21, 2009 at 7:32 am

Jen, I just sent you the info. At one point, I had a page called “Sweet Places” but I took it down because I couldn’t update it enough.

Tanis September 21, 2009 at 9:34 am

Anna, I sure would like the info you sent to Jen about sweet places to visit in NY.

Krystle September 21, 2009 at 10:01 am

These are absolutely delicious! I have made many times and everytime I do people just rave about them!

Holly April 24, 2010 at 9:30 am

Yum! I just made these and they’re a fun treat and taste an awful lot like the real thing, but in a bar form! Great recipe!

Lynette June 30, 2010 at 4:16 pm

You must be missing the butter and sugar from the recipe. My friend brought over somtething like this and they were to die for yummy! Just searching for a recipe to take to a fourth of July bbq :)

Anna June 30, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Thanks Lynette! You caught a typo. The original recipe is from Hershey’s, but I re-typed it here in case the link gets changed. These are excellent.

Libby December 11, 2010 at 5:38 pm

any chance instead of marshmallow cream I could use real marshmallows and melt them? Any ideas? I have lots of big marshmallows on hand and don’t really like marshmallow cream.

Anna December 11, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Hi Libby, I think real marshmallows would work. Give it a try and let me know!

dominique hill August 23, 2011 at 11:17 am

Hi, these look great- my sister has always wanted to try these as we are from the UK, and not many people sell them here.
I will definitely bake these for her!! :)

pazit October 6, 2011 at 5:45 pm

these smores bars look amazing! I would love to know if i can freeze these? If not how long can i leave them out for?

hopeinbrazil October 12, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I tried these with real marshmallows, but it didn’t work very well. They melted and left air pockets in the bars which made them crumble when I cut them. Not as pretty as your picture.

Anna October 12, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Sorry that happened. I tried it with marshmallows and got the same results, so I guess with this particular recipe it’s best to stick with the recipe.