Egg-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on July 22, 2008 · 15 comments

Mark your calendars for October 28, because that is the approximate release date of Shirley Corriher’s new book Bakewise. I can’t wait! Her other book, Cookwise, is one of my favorites, but I generally head straight to the sections on baking. Now she’s giving us a whole book devoted to the subject of glutens, acidity, chemical reactions. I’m getting goose bumps just thinking about it! Okay, not really.

October 28 just can’t come soon enough, but at least we still have Cookwise, and today’s recipe is adapted from one in that book. In Cookwise, Shirley Corriher offers up four variations on the chocolate chip cookie — – basic, thin, puffed and in between. I’ve made both the “puffy” and the “in-between”, but yesterday I found myself short on eggs and decided to try the “thin” which are free of eggs.

It’s nice to have a few egg free cookie recipes in your collection, and this is a good one. The cookies aren’t particularly attractive, but they’re presentable. Most importantly, they are loaded with vanilla, butter, and chocolaty flavor and have a firm, chewy texture. For those of you who don’t like your cookies cakey, these are about as far as you can get.

In Cookwise, Shirley says she uses bleached flour because it doesn’t absorb as much liquid, a little extra milk to help the cookies spread, extra baking soda for browning, and corn syrup to add some crispness which in these cookies, is only around the edges. The rest of the cookies are chewy.

And finally, without the eggs, these cookies should be easy to veganize. Since the main purpose of the milk is to thin the batter, it seems soymilk would work just fine. As for the butter, Earth Balance Butter Sticks would most likely do the trick, but most vegan bakers already have a good butter substitute.

chocolate chip cookie

Egg Free Thin and Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (192 grams/6.75 oz)**
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
7 oz semi-sweet chocolate, cut into large chunks
½ cup toasted walnuts or pecans, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (191 C)

Thoroughly stir together the flour, salt and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl.

Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy; Add the corn syrup and then add the milk and beat well. Beat in the vanilla.

On low speed (or by hand) gradually add the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula. Stir in the chocolate and nuts

Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls spacing 2 inches apart onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for about 10- 12 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on sheets for about 5 minutes. Carefully transfer to a rack to cool and set.

Makes about 30

**Shirley originally calls for bleached flour, but I used unbleached because that’s what I had.

Published on July 22, 2008

VeggieGirl July 22, 2008 at 1:39 pm

And easily-veganizable cookie?? Perfect!! :0)

Clumbsy Cookie July 22, 2008 at 2:14 pm

It’s so funny to see this post Anna! I was baking cookies today and for the first time I ran out of eggs! I couldn’t believe it when I went into the fridge to find only 1 egg creature when I needed 2! I’ve put half a banana to compensate for the lack of egg, since I had allready started the recipe and couldn’t half it. They turned out pretty decent, but if I had seen this earlier I would have made it just make myself happy, since I was so upset… But I’m giving myself a time away from ccc, still have some NY Times ones in the frezzer…

Katrina July 22, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Yum! I’m about to try ccc’s using xylitol sugar and/or agave nectar. Have you heard of those? Been wanting to try it, since it would be “sugar free” and healthier.

eva July 22, 2008 at 3:02 pm

You’re not the only one jumping for joy at the prospect of Shirley’s new book…and the fact that it’s devoted to baking?!!!! Yowza. She and McGee are my 2 favourite food references.

runjess July 22, 2008 at 5:08 pm

They look kind of like Chips A’hoy, the thin, chewy version.

Rina July 22, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Anna,

I love the little photo frame, very cool addition to your otherwise beautiful photos!

Rina

Anna July 22, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Hi Rina,

I sent you an email regarind the huge Indian dinner you are going to make me ;). Let me know if you didn’t get it.

Thanks for noticing the frame. I am playing around with a photo editing tool called Picnik. I’m not sure if I’m going to put polaroids on all my pictures, but it seems like a good idea for several reasons.

Heidi July 22, 2008 at 8:27 pm

cute new picture layout!

Judy (Judy's Gross Eats) July 23, 2008 at 12:34 am

Hi Anna,

I’ve given you a blog award. Thanks for being such an inspiration.

Judy

Katrina July 23, 2008 at 5:02 am

Love the photo finish! Yeah, you got an award! ;)

aTxVegn July 23, 2008 at 7:36 am

These cookies look really great! I have Cookwise and I’ll be purchasing Bakewise too.

A&N July 23, 2008 at 7:41 am

Eggless cookies are a vegetarian’s delight! Thanks for the recipe :)

Julie O'Hara July 23, 2008 at 8:20 am

Welcome back from SF! I enjoyed reading your posts, even though they were picture-free:) I knew Bakewise was on the way, but I didn’t know the date…I’m excited! It’s the day before my birthday too! I pretty much just use the sections on baking in cookwise.

Judy (Judy's Gross Eats) July 23, 2008 at 10:46 am

I’m a big fan of Cookwise. In fact, it’s where my “go-to” chocolate chip cookies come from. I got tired of thin cookies, so mostly I make the in-betweens and puffy ones, adapting them to all kinds of variations. Thanks for the heads up on Bakewise. It’s at the top of my list.

Amanda September 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Made these with my three old son who is has several food allergies, including eggs. These were a big hit!! They are so good! Thank you :)