Back From Birmingham

by on August 31, 2006 · 12 comments

I’m back from Birmingham, Alabama where I and 14 new cooking friends competed in the Cooking Light Ultimate Reader recipe contest. My recipe was a dessert called “Chocolate Chip Irish Cream Pound Cake”. It did not win its category this year, but the dessert recipe which beat it, a cupcake, won the whole contest. That is, it beat out all the appetizers, entrees and sides. I don’t know if the cupcake news has gone to press yet, but when I get it, I’ll link to a recipe.

Win or lose, the trip was fun. Todd, Fuzz and I flew in a little early so we’d have some time to explore Birmingham, which has lots of attractions for kids. I’d been there twice for other cook-offs, but this was our best trip, given the weather and the central location of the hotel. The other finalists were all very nice and after this contest, I am quite sure they will be hooked on cook-offs. I miss the CL staff, who are all so bright and knowledgeable. They work in a gorgeous environment. We were given a tour during the contest, but you can take a virtual one by clicking here.

So I’m home now, coming down from a contest high, doing laundry and getting ready to go to PTA workroom to laminate flash cards, make copies or cut out 100 paper fish. It’s going to be a busy day, but I hope I can bake something because I really feel like being in the kitchen right now.

Published on August 31, 2006

Joe August 31, 2006 at 1:20 pm

Sorry to hear you didn’t win, sounds like a good time was still had! Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Glad to see you got there and back safely!

Amy August 31, 2006 at 2:45 pm

Welcome Home!

Anna August 31, 2006 at 3:22 pm

Joe, I wish you had been there. Maybe next year! Start practicing now. Of course, I have no idea what the sponsor products will be.

Jill August 31, 2006 at 4:06 pm

When I first saw your posting I thought, “Hey, my co-worker was in that contest!” She won in the entree category. I’m glad you had a good trip.

Anna August 31, 2006 at 4:43 pm

Jill, that means you work with April! Tell her I said hi. I am looking forward to seeing her recipe when it’s published. I didn’t get to try it. But I do know her….from Denton, right? She won the entree category with her beef in cocoa gravy.

Kristin W August 31, 2006 at 5:14 pm

OK, Anna, so when will you share that yummy-sounding cake recipe? I’m back on a baking binge, and the name alone is making me drool!

Michelle August 31, 2006 at 6:45 pm

Sounds like another great contest. Can’t wait to see the recipes in CL. Glad you all had an enjoyable trip.
Michelle

Jill August 31, 2006 at 7:33 pm

Yep, it’s April. We’re kind of funny because we both telecommute for the same place and live in completely different states, but we’re on instant messaging everyday. She sent me the recipe for her entree just before the competition and I’m eager to try it out.

Erika September 1, 2006 at 7:58 am

Welcome back- and thanks for the update! I’ve really been wondering how the weekend went.

So did you get a chance to try the winning cupcakes? They certainly sound good.

April September 1, 2006 at 9:09 am

I wasn’t supposed to hand out the recipe for the Beef with Cocoa Gravy ….gave it out to Jill before signing the legal document from Cooking Light!
New to this business. Just a warning to others be careful, it would be terrible to be disqualified for something like this. Had a great time, met a whole new group of friends.

Anna September 1, 2006 at 9:21 am

Good point, April!

At this point, the recipes belong to Cooking Light. In your case, April — the recipe might show up in a local paper before the magazine is published. So if that happens, you can refer people to that. I remember when my cake won last year, the recipe was in the Austin Statesmen immediately.

Dani September 1, 2006 at 12:57 pm

Welcome Home! Those Cupcakes look darn good. Sorry to didn’t win.

By any chance, can I bug you sometime with a couple of questions about Recipe Contests? There is one coming up for Culinary Students and I would like to participate. Let me know if I can bug you sometime ;-)