Fuzz Rides a Bike!

by on March 31, 2009 · 20 comments

Fuzz learned to ride a bike yesterday. We’d been trying to teach for the past 3 years, but she just couldn’t pull together the balance, coordination and attitude needed to learn. We almost resigned to the belief that bike riding just wasn’t for her, but then yesterday I tripped over the bike in the garage. We were bored, so I asked Fuzz if she wanted to meet up with a friend and do a quick bike riding lesson. Expecting her plead no, she surprised me by saying “okay”, so we stuffed the bike in the car and headed over to our friend’s Catie’s cul-de-sac.

Catie took one look at Fuzz’s bike and said we should try a different one. She pulled a slightly larger bike out of her bike collection (she has 4 kids) and guess what? Fuzz climbed on the bike and with a little push, started riding. She was a little wobbly at first, but in a matter of minutes she was going up driveways and curbs and riding in circles.

If I were a better writer, I could apply this to some life lesson. For now, all I have to say is if your child is having trouble riding a bike, don’t give up and maybe try a different bike! And congratulations Fuzz for learning.

Fuzz rides a bike

Published on March 31, 2009

Randi March 31, 2009 at 10:58 am

Congrats. I didnt learn to ride a bike until I was in the 2nd grade. I remember going on Bike Riding trip with the Brownies and I couldnt ride a bike yet so I had to ride in the car w/ the parents. Totally embarrasing and something I’ll never forget!!

Randi March 31, 2009 at 10:59 am

Actually, I think it might have been 4th grade, because I was probably 8 or 9yrs old.

Kendra March 31, 2009 at 10:59 am

Congratulations to Fuzz! And good for you for wearing a helmet. Though it looks like it’s too far back on your head.

DessertObsessed March 31, 2009 at 11:03 am

How cute! I’m 22 and I still don’t know how to ride a bike :(

Louise March 31, 2009 at 11:10 am

That’s great. The kid learns to ride a bike when she wants to. :-) I’ve seen kids ride the tiny bikes with 12″ wheels, but I don’t know how they do it as the physics of those is really bad. I took up bike riding seriously as an adult and have done lots of long distance touring, but only ride occasionally now. I still won’t go out for less than 15 miles as it’s not worth going through the initial 5 miles of pain.

jeff March 31, 2009 at 11:59 am

You want to make sure that Fuzz pulls her helmet forward. Worn like that it won’t provide much protection. I know it’s nitpicky, but head injuries suck!

Anna March 31, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Yeah, we need a new helmet!

Amy D. March 31, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Congratulations! Anna, you need to take her out to the Veloway once she has a little more practice. Addison and I rode out there and it’s great. There are a couple hills she might have to walk the bike up/down in the beginning but once she’s a little more experienced it will be a fun place for you guys to ride together.

Emily March 31, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Congrats Fuzz! This will be a fun-filled summer of bike riding.

clumbsycookie March 31, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Yay Fuzz! Yay for bigger bikes!

C L March 31, 2009 at 2:51 pm

:) Yay Fuzz!! Congratulations! :)

Sue March 31, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Please tell Fuzz I send her my congratulations! I’m so proud and happy for her!

HeartofGlass March 31, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Live strong, little Lance!

T. Martin April 1, 2009 at 5:18 am

Congrats Fuzz!!!

Elyse April 1, 2009 at 7:06 am

YAY, Fuzz! Congrats!! Bike riding is super fun, and I’m sure it will occupy much of her free time now. The first time I ever rode a bike, my dad let me fall into the bushes. However, I learned my lesson and kept my balance after that. Fuzz looks like a complete natural!

Tracy April 1, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Way to go, Fuzz!
It took my son forever to learn how to ride a bike. It’s funny how it just clicks, isn’t it?

Terri April 2, 2009 at 7:36 am

Congrats to Fuzz!!! The weeone has almost no interest in learning to ride a bike. It pains me since most of my best childhood memories involve a gang of us taking off down the street on our bicycles. I suppose in time she’ll learn, and it gives me great hope that Fuzz did. I’m pretty sure they’re similar in age….perhaps Fuzz is a year or so older? So, maybe next year. =) Tell Fuzz congrats from me and the weeone!

Josie A-G April 2, 2009 at 12:16 pm

She’s an instant pro! That girl has guts, I’m impressed. I didn’t ride a bike until I was 8, and only then because my younger sister learned how to do it and I got competitive. But she was always, always, better than me.

Anna April 2, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I learned how to ride a bike when I was 4. That was back in the day when neighborhood kids played on the street until bedtime and hit streetlights with bricks to “make them come on”. Fuzz wasn’t ready at 4, 5, or 6 and I’d almost given up.

Now all she wants to do this week is ride a bike and we have a new helmet;).

Terri (and anyone else interested), one thing I think helped with the balance issue was a Razor scooter. Fuzz didn’t want to ride a bike, but for the past year and a half she’s zipped around on her scooter.

Josie, maybe your younger sister is responsible for your cooking contest habit.

Terri April 3, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Anna – That’s great to know since the weeone LOVES her razor and has been riding it a lot lately. Maybe this time next year, I’ll be writing a post about learning to ride a bike!!!