Top 5

by on May 12, 2009 · 15 comments

I’m working on a new category called “All-Time Favorite Cookies”. Because I’m taking this seriously and choosing the Top 5 out of all these cookies is difficult, it will be a slow process. I’ll be editing the category throughout the day, so you may want to skip printing any of those recipes until tomorrow.

Published on May 12, 2009

snookydoodle May 12, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Eager to see the top 5 :)

Sue May 12, 2009 at 11:08 am

Good luck with your Top 5 picks! That’s exciting, but I’ll bet it’s difficult because you have so many great recipes!!

The first ones that come to mind for me are the Apricot Orange Bars, the Cranberry Walnut cookies, and the white chocolate macadamia cookies with the Bailey’s Irish Cream. I’m really stuck on the CI Perfect CCC right now, otherwise I like the CCC recipe you pointed out from Gourmet, and the JT recipe, and, and, and….. :-)

Good luck!!

KatyBelle May 12, 2009 at 11:29 am

I just searched your site yesterday for a “chewy” chocolate chip cookie to bake for school this week. None of your top 5 were the two I ultimately chose! I can’t do the smores, because some Muslims won’t eat marshmallows. I am looking forward to trying MANY of your cookies!

Katy

Anna May 12, 2009 at 11:32 am

This is a good one. It’s chewy.

I might add it to the Top 5, but I’d have to knock another cookie off. Tough choices ;).

Lisa Ernst May 12, 2009 at 11:33 am

Can’t wait to see your list! This will simplify looking for a good recipe. Of course, I’d love to know what you all time favorite brownie recipe is too.

Anna May 12, 2009 at 11:40 am

One Bowl Cocoa brownies and the King Arthur Best-Ever brownies come to mind because they are economical, made with cocoa and aren’t too fudgy or too cakey. But I will need to choose 3 others and that will be difficult.

KatyBelle May 12, 2009 at 11:43 am

Thanks! That is one of the recipes I printed! Not sure I will make it for the concession stand…because of the size and they want two to a baggie. I will definitely make them for US. I wish they were finished now :)

Jess May 12, 2009 at 11:50 am

Yayyyy! Thanks for doing this.

Kerstin May 12, 2009 at 11:53 am

I can’t wait to see your list! I’d like to know what your favorite sugar cookie recipe is, I haven’t been satisfied with any I have tried!

Anna May 12, 2009 at 11:55 am

Jess and Sue, I am glad you two are in agreement with me on the CI cookies.

I’m still debating whether the Todd English cookie should go in the Top 5. I liked it a lot when I first made it, but now the baking powder is bothering me. It may get bumped by the Lebovitz or New York Times (JT) cookie.

Anna May 12, 2009 at 11:57 am

Kerstin, sugar cookie is a difficult category for me because I find most of them kind of boring. I do like Michelle Bommarito’s cookies on a stick and that recipe is a definite Top 5, but the perfect plain sugar cookie will take more thought. Plus, I just haven’t made any in a while.

I guess the perfect sugar cookie would be a snickerdoodle.

Sue May 12, 2009 at 11:58 am

I’m having a rough day with work, and I’d much rather think about cookies. I decided I should go back and come up with the actual names of the cookies I mentioned in my first reply. This is what I meant:
Apricot Orange Bars
Big Fat Maple Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal Cookies
Masterpiece White Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Cook’s Illustrated Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies

I can’t believe that I never left a comment about the Big Fat Maple Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies!! They are so good!

I don’t think I’ve ever made something I didn’t like from your blog. I’ve made things that actually converted me to liking them. The Easy and Good Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are an example.

Katrina May 12, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Kudos to you, I would have a really hard time picking, especially in the ccc category! Besides, I’d have to remake all of them and try them all again just to figure it out! ;)

Leigh Ann May 12, 2009 at 12:59 pm

I have been meaning to share one of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes with you, a Betty Crocker recipe.

I love it because it is SO easy. I have literally mixed it up with just one bowl and a spoon, and I would put the taste and texture of these up against any other (more complicated) recipe I have tried. It is very forgiving. Sometimes my butter is melted, sometimes just soft, etc. and I always halve the recipe because it makes a giant batch.

I would love to see what you think! Here is the recipe link: http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/Recipe.aspx?recipeId=35777

Kerstin May 12, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Thanks Anna – I’m definitely going to have to try Michelle Bommarito‚Äôs cookies on a stick then! I guess I need to experiment a bit more, I really want a thick sugar cookie with a touch of frosting and sprinkles on top. They’ve been my favorite ever since I was super young picky eater :)