Compost Cookie Report

Hi from the Millenium Hilton bar!

Don’t worry, I’m not drinking at 7:00 AM. The thing with this hotel is while the Internet connection is super fast, not all rooms have it so you have to work in common areas. It’s not a problem, though. The hotel is great and in a location I prefer – downtown near the financial district and Tribeca. It’s also close to the Brooklyn Bridge which is convenient if you intend to walk across it! If you’re planning a trip to New York, definitely consider staying downtown. I’ll tell you about some of the restaurants later. I have a new favorite in Tribeca.

What I wanted to do before we pack up and head home is tell you about the Compost Cookie from Milk Bar. I’d been trying to recreate it based on descriptions from other people and now that that I’ve tried it, I think I need to start over.

I spent yesterday morning riding the subway all over and finally made it the Milk Bar just before noon. It’s small, but cute with room to sit. I saw the famous crack pie and some others that reminded me of the type of pie I’d bake myself, but I was concentrating on cookies and there were a lot of them. I bought the compost cookie, marshmallow cornflake and peanut butter. Out of the 3, the compost cookie was my favorite. The pretzels were whole or broken in two rather than crushed and they tasted like they’d had butter/sugar poured over them. It reminded me of Frito candy baked into a cookie. The potato chips were also in big chunks. I was sure I’d find it too sweet based on a few reviews, but I actually loved it and wouldn’t make any changes.

The cornflake cookie was good too. It was very buttery and the cookie was had a browned butter flavor that some might perceive as burnt, but it wasn’t burnt — just toasty like a toasted marshmallow mixed with browned butter.

The peanut butter cookie was good too.

I can definitely see what all the buzz was about.

Yikes! Gotta run. Will post pictures later.

Comments

I hope you’re talking about the Momofuku Milk Bar! I love that you can buy “cereal flavored” milk. If you have time, try a spinach and artichoke slice of pizza at Artichoke in East Village. You won’t regret it.

Does Milk not have a ccc? You didn’t name those. ;)
    I loved being downtown in that area when we were in NYC–much better than Times Square area, no?
    You’re really making me want to change the plans and go to NYC with my husband in Aug. It’s getting a little late to decide that.

I went crazy with Dorie’s Katharine Hepburn brownies this last week. Have you tried those? They are my new favorite, easy, one pot brownie.

Keep having fun and taste a little cookie for me! ;)

Yum, those cookies sound good! I’m planning on meeting my mom in NYC in the fall and will definitely be hitting up a few bakeries! I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

4. Gloria Seales says

Have you seen the Oatmeal Cookie Guy’s recipe for the compost cookies which he recently came up with?

5. Janice says

Anna..
    Come back home…we miss you;-)
    Well, we do miss you but enjoy your vacay and take lots of food pics!!!
    Looking forward to your new version of the compost.
    Janice

6. Angie says

Anna,
    I love your website! I also follow the oatmeal cookie blog as well. His goal( Gregs) is to try a different oatmeal cookie every day for a year! It has been interesting. I have tried the copycat version of the compost cookie that has been posted on his site and I really hesitated when he called for coffee grounds! The cookie is good. Will you try the recipe and compare it to the one you had in NYC? His site address is oatmeal http?oatmealcookie.typepad.com and he references the compost cookie on April 10th. Thanks and I hope you come home soon!