Add-Ins and Cookie Spread

This weekend I made Eric’s Chocolate Chip Cookies from Top Chef Just Desserts.  They were incredible!

Here are a few more notes for those of you planning on making the cookies.  I  got the best results when I made the cookies with chilled dough, used chocolate that wasn’t too smooth or easy-melting, and baked the dough on stacked cookie sheets. Doing all of those things resulted in less spreading.  Just for fun, and because I wanted to make use of some Halloween candy, I baked four cookies using different types of add-ins.  For each cookie I used 2 oz of dough and .9 oz of add ins. Clockwise, we have a cookie made with

Callebaut Callets (60%) — Which in my opinion taste delicius, but are too small for gigantic cookies.  They’re all I had today, though.
Chopped up Lindt Bar (70%) “Smooth Dark”.   Not recommended, and you’ll see why.
Oreos
Chopped up Reese’s

Cookie Dough

The cookie that spread the most was the one with the Smooth Recipe Lindt 70%. The chocolate spread and so did the cookie.

Cookies

It would have been worse if this dough hadn’t been chilled for two days. I guess the point is, choose your chocolate wisely. Just because it’s a fine chocolate doesn’t mean it’s suitable for great chocolate chunk cookies. Of course, if you’re looking for a chocolate that melts beautifully, go for the smooth.

Cookie with melted chocolate

Comments

Ha, that’s cool. I didn’t even know you posted this and did you see my email to you with my pictures of the cookies with three types of chocolate?
    I tried the Ghirardelli 60% cacao chips (my favorite), the Lindt, which also spread, my cookie looks just like yours, and some Ghir. Luxe milk chocolate. I haven’t tasted any of them–I baked off three cookies with unchilled dough. The Ghir. 60% chips one look perfect and just like the ones Eric made. Can’t wait to try more with chilled dough.
    Maybe I’ll need to raid the Halloween buckets. ;)

Ok, just tasted each of my three cookies. The Ghir. one is definitely the best, but I do think in each of them the little shot of vanilla taste is missing. The texture of the Ghir. one is the best. I baked them exactly 14 min. at 325 as the recipe says, but I’d probably go 12 minutes next time. Maybe the chilled dough WILL take 14. I’ll try a few later tonight.
    And I’ll stay off your blog and shut up now, just throwing my two cents worth in. ;)

3. Louise says

Anna, In these trials, do I understand that the dough was chilled, but the candy bars were room temperature? In particular I’m thinking about the Lindt bar as I have a 1984 Chocolatier cc recipe that I used for years, but haven’t made for some time. I’ve been meaning to make it to see how it holds up to more recent cc recipes. I remember it specified Lindt or Tobler candy bars, but the whole bowl was then chilled overnight. The chocolate stayed as chunks and didn’t blow out like your photos. I think Eric’s cc cookies will make me finally do a baking comparison.

Yeah, I ended up eating part of it. I had to chill it just to get the chocolate to set. Also, the photo looks better than the cookie did in real life. It was an ugly cookie.

I’m going to make these this weekend. I just need to get some chocolate chunks. I actually might try the Ghirrardeli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips, which are larger and have a good flavor. I just hope they won’t spread too much!

Jennifer, I made the cookies yesterday and tested three different chocolates and the Ghir. 60% cacao chips are my favorite with these cookies and they did not spread.

I also made some cookies with the dough and added milk chocolate chips, mini marshmallows and chopped up graham crackers and those were really good.

This is a good dough to play around with (as you can see from Anna’s trials above). I tried Lindt, too, and my cookie looks exactly the same as Anna’s.

7. deb says

i tried baking these cookies both ways: dough UNchilled and dough chilled. Both ways were absolutely delicious! The chilled ones did stay just a bit fuller, but both were incredibly delicious! i omitted the salt (just forgot) and added Heath bits. This will now be my new ccc recipe!!!! (-8

I made these last night using Ghirardelli 60% chips, chopped up Reese’s cups, and M&Ms and they were fantastic! I didn’t chill the dough, but the cookies didn’t spread much. Perfect consistency. I loved how easy they are too–no special ingredients other than good chocolate, chilling is optional, and melting the better makes mixing faster.