Baked Alaska–Guest Post by Katrina at Baking and Boys!

by on August 8, 2011 · 16 comments

Hi Cookie Madness Readers!

This is Katrina from Baking and Boys!  Anna is on vacation.  Many of you know she and her family went to Seattle.  They are also surprising their daughter, Emma, and going on an Alaskan cruise!  How fun!

Anna and I were talking (emailing) and I offered to do a guest post for her while she’s away bundled in her parka making snowballs and enjoying the cool Alaskan air.  What?  No snowballs–okay, maybe not this time of year and probably not on a ship, but I just know she’s probably loving getting away from that Texas summer heat wave!

Knowing she would be in Alaska, I couldn’t help but think about Baked Alaska.  I have never made Baked Alaska before, I don’t recall actually ever eating it before, but I’ve always thought it sounds really good and I love how it looks.  So I decided in honor of the Ginsberg’s Alaskan vacation, I’d give it a try.

Traditionally, Baked Alaska has a sponge cake on the bottom, but if you know me from my blog, you’ll know that my family (husband) doesn’t like cake.  So I started thinking of what else I could use and well, again, if you know me, chocolate chip cookies came to my mind.  So the Chocolate Chip Cookie with Chocolate Ice Cream Baked Alaska was born.  We like ice cream at our house and chocolate is the usual go-to flavor.  But I must say, Baked Alaska would sure be something fun to play around with endless flavors!

I wanted to use a softer chocolate chip cookie, so I made the ever popular chocolate chip cookie with instant vanilla pudding mix in it.  I didn’t do enough research about Baked Alaska, so I always thought the rounded scoop of ice cream was set on top of the cake (cookie in my case) and frozen.  I just happened to see a show on the Food Network yesterday that showed how a restaurant made Baked Alaska and they just took perfectly rounded scoops of ice cream that were already frozen into balls and set them on top of the cake, added the meringue and toasted it with a kitchen torch.  That is good to know for the next time I make these, since we had frozen chocolate chip cookies.  Though I must say, they were not too hard to cut into each bite.  I had taken scoops of ice cream and placed them right onto each cookie and then froze it.  Really, the star of this Baked Alaska show is the meringue!

I don’t have a kitchen torch–but want one now.  I stuck the individual meringue desserts under the broiler in the oven.  The first night I tried it, I probably had them in the oven for 4-5 minutes and while they browned up nicely, that melted the ice cream inside considerably.  The next night I made a few more and only broiled them for 1-2 minutes.  Perfect!  These were really good.  I liked the lightly toasted meringue more than I thought I liked meringue.  It tasted just like toasted marshmallow.

Chocolate Chip Cookie with Chocolate Ice Cream Baked Alaska, by Katrina, Baking and Boys!

Your favorite chocolate chip cookies 2-6 cookies depending on size

Chocolate Ice Cream, 1/2 gallon (you won’t need all of it)

Meringue Recipe, adapted from Food Network

2 large egg whites

1/2 cup granulated sugar

pinch of cream of tartar

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Fill a medium-sized saucepan with an inch or two of water.   Bring to a simmer over medium heat.   Combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer and place over the saucepan.  Whisk constantly until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch, about 3 minutes.  Transfer the bowl to the electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and, starting on low speed and gradually increasing the speed every minute or two until the mixer is on high speed for the last few minutes.  This should take about 10 minutes.  Whip until stiff, glossy peaks form.  Add the vanilla and almond extracts and fold together until combined.  Fill a pastry bag with the meringue, fitted with a #5 star tip.

To assemble the Baked Alaska–scoop nice big scoops of ice cream onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for a couple hours.  Preheat oven to 500 degrees/broil setting with the rack in the middle of the oven.  Make the meringue.  Lay two large (4 or 5 inch cookies) on a baking sheet, set a scoop of ice cream on each cookie (I made 5 smaller ones (about 2 inch cookies) one time and 2 large ones another time).  Immediately pipe the meringue all over the ice cream and cookie.  Once they are completely covered, broil for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned, leaving the oven door open slightly.  Using a spatula/pancake turner, lift each carefully off the baking sheet and put them on serving dishes.   Serve immediately.

Thank you, Anna, for giving me the pleasure of guest posting on your blog!  I hope you’re having a wonderful vacation!

Published on August 8, 2011

bakingblonde August 8, 2011 at 6:14 am

I remember having this as a kid and being very frightened by the looks of it. LOL. I don’t even remember how it tastes but yours looks totally drool-worthy!

Lisa Ernst August 8, 2011 at 6:19 am

Katrina, good to see you here! Since this is chocolate, I can especially appreciate it! Love the switch to a chocolate chip cookie bottom. I’m not a meringue person, so that part wouldn’t work for me, but there could be many fun subs. I guess that would alter it to the point it wouldn’t be Baked Alaska any more, but still a fun idea to experiment with. This does look beautiful!

Katrina August 8, 2011 at 8:06 am

Thanks, BB and Lisa. Lisa–I thought I didn’t like meringue either, but I loved this. I think I don’t care for lemon meringue pie or something. With my first try, I put shaved chocolate IN the meringue as well and that as really good! (But those were the ones I ended up melted–the meringue was still really good!

d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo August 8, 2011 at 8:15 am

Believe it or not, I’ve never had a Baked Alaska – but I’ve always been intrigued. I first heard about it when I studied abroad, because in the UK, Ben & Jerry’s makes a Baked Alaska ice cream (AND IT’S GREAT)…. I’d love to try this! Thanks for sharing.

Sue August 8, 2011 at 8:17 am

I made Baked Alaska in high school home ec. Yes, it was still called home ec back then. :-) I have to say I was pretty impressed with it then, and Katrina and I’m pretty impressed with yours now!! I thought for sure you’d use a brownie as the base! The little individual Baked Alaskans are adorable, and no doubt very tasty!

Katrina August 8, 2011 at 8:33 am

d.liff–Ooh, Baked Alaska ice cream sounds really good!
Sue–Thanks. Actually, the ones I made that melted too much, were on brownies. I made them even smaller (for the kids). But since they were a little too melty, I didn’t post pictures of them. They actually still tasted great though, just made very melty ice cream under the meringue! I know how to do it now (don’t freeze the ice cream WITH the base), so next time I make them, I’ll probably try brownie again.)

PlumGaga August 8, 2011 at 9:31 am

Depending on the cruise line they have chosen, Anna and her family may well enjoy a baked Alaska on their cruise. On Holland America, there is a grand parade of waiters carrying the flaming desserts around the dining rooms.

Renuka August 8, 2011 at 11:29 am

I have also never had a baked alaska before. I am not a fan of meringue so I kept away from it. But this post is making me want to shed my inhibitions and just go for it. Lovely post . I will tell you how it goes….

Carol August 8, 2011 at 12:04 pm

They are going to have so much fun on that Alaskan Cruise. I went on one two years ago. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking! BTW the only time I have ever had Baked Alaska is on a cruise so I am thrilled to have an easy recipe to try at home!

Louise August 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Baked Alaska was a popular dessert in the early 70’s, like macarons are right now. I think we all made it.

danielle August 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm

YUMMMY-I JUST POSTED A BAKED ALASKA ON MYBLOG LAST WEEK BUT I LIKE YOUR CHOC CHIP COOKIE IDEA EVEN BETTER!!!!!

Gloria August 8, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Fun post Katrina and appropriate! I had baked Alaska on a Caribbean cruise once…it was delicious…I was mystified as to how and impressed that they could put ice cream in the oven and not have an ice cream puddle. Meringue’s scare me! I like them, just scared to make them.

Katrina August 8, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Plum–that sounds really cool!
Renuka–I wasn’t a fan of meringue before now either. Now I can’t wait to try it again with other flavors!
Carol–I’ve been on a cruise to Mexico, but have heard how gorgeous those Alaskan cruises are.
Louise–I grew up in the 70’s but never had Baked Alaska. I don’t think my mom baked much, except letting us help with cookies or something.
Danielle–I check out your blog–everything looks delicious! I “liked” your blog on FB, so now I can see what else you make!
Gloria–Thanks. I always wondered how the ice cream didn’t melt also. The one I saw on a cooking show just did a quick kitchen torch over it and it looked perfect. It’s really not scary to make, just a little time consuming (the mixer does all the work though).

Louise August 9, 2011 at 9:56 am

Katrina – I’m showing my age. I made Baked Alaska forty years ago.

Anna August 10, 2011 at 9:04 am

Hi from Juneau! Katrina, it looks terrific. Also, it’s not something you eat every day, but on an Alaska cruise you h
Just might. I’ve eaten it twice at sea and have enjoyed all the textures, temperatures and flavors in one dessert. Thanks for the recipe.

Katrina August 10, 2011 at 9:28 am

Anna–Hi! Good to hear from you! I almost would love to go on a Baked Alaska restaurant hop or something. The one I saw on Food Network looked divine. Can’t wait to try more flavors! Hope you’re having a blast!