I really need to update the photo of these Nanaimo Bars. But ugly photo aside, they are good. This recipe was adapted from one of my Food Editor’s Favorite books. I feel like I want to play around with this one some more because Cookie Madness lacks Nanaimo Bar recipes. Maybe it’s time to try them with Bird’s.
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans chopped (2 oz)
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs 10 oz
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons instant pudding mix
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 oz semisweet or dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter cream or shortening
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 inch square metal pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Stir together melted butter, sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in egg and vanilla, followed by coconut, nuts and graham cracker crumbs. Press crumb mixture tightly into pan and bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Cream butter and 1 cup of the confectioners sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in vanilla and pudding mix. Stir in remaining confectioner’s sugar and milk. Beat until fluffy. Spread over cooled bars and chill.
- Melt chocolate with butter (or whatever you are using). Pour over chilled bars. Return to refrigerator to set chocolate.